Is this my first fossil?

SabertoothHunter

Found this in a forest in Serbia. Is this some kind of forest or maybe sea plant?

Screenshot_20210714-153312_WhatsApp.jpg

An odd and interesting piece, although it has the appearance that someone scratched an outline on it with another rock. :headscratch:

• I Agree 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Looks like a feeding trace from a modern gastropod.  

Radula

Screenshot_20.jpg

• I found this Informative 2
  • Thank You 1
  • I Agree 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

20 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Looks like a feeding trace from a modern gastropod.  

Radula

That was also my first impression. I cannot tell for sure from the photo, but are the bright lines elevated at some parts? If they are flat I am in the feeding trace camp also.

Best Regards,

J

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

It looks close to Nereites, if I'm not wrong.

Nereites_irregularis.thumb.jpg.691cf4281463e89daa0b2adf13fb537c.jpg

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nereites

Edited by abyssunder
  • I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

As usual I am astounded by the range of knowledge on this forum.  Until others showed me what this was I had no idea.  I assume that a modern trace should wash off and a fossil trace should be part of the rock.   Does it rub or wash off?  If it is part of the rock and not a slime trail, that makes the answer to your question, yes this is a fossil.  It is a trace fossil ( a  feeding trail, or a series of footprints, or shell drags)  and not a body fossil.  What is the geology of this area, how old is it, was this a marine or terrestrial area--  these facts will help understand what you have found.  I would also ask at your local museum or university.  Local experts in your area will be familiar with the local fossils.

• I Agree 1

15 hours ago, val horn said:

As usual I am astounded by the range of knowledge on this forum.  Until others showed me what this was I had no idea.  I assume that a modern trace should wash off and a fossil trace should be part of the rock.   Does it rub or wash off?  If it is part of the rock and not a slime trail, that makes the answer to your question, yes this is a fossil.  It is a trace fossil ( a  feeding trail, or a series of footprints, or shell drags)  and not a body fossil.  What is the geology of this area, how old is it, was this a marine or terrestrial area--  these facts will help understand what you have found.  I would also ask at your local museum or university.  Local experts in your area will be familiar with the local fossils.

Hi Val-It doesn't wash off because the trace is where the snail has eaten its way across the rock surface eating algae and whatever.  

On 7/14/2021 at 4:06 PM, westcoast said:

Agreed

It is like 25-30 cm long.

5 hours ago, jpc said:

Hi Val-It doesn't wash off because the trace is where the snail has eaten its way across the rock surface eating algae and whatever.  

Terrain is dominantly made by sedimently stones. It is a hill today. I heard in local museum, that hill was an island like 20 million years ago. On the hill next to this, some time ago, was found crocodill fossill 17 millions years old.

10 minutes ago, SabertoothHunter said:

I heard in local museum, that hill was an island like 20 million years ago. On the hill next to this, some time ago, was found crocodill fossill 17 millions years old.

Sounds like early Miocene deposits then, probably the Burdigalian stage...

• I found this Informative 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett