Newbie (but addicted) needing help with shark teeth id from south myrtle.

SuchAClassicGirl

Hey there. First post so i hope i do this right and answer what's needed. My husband and i just returned from garden city/murrells inlet south carolina. We started our addiction for looking for teeth on the last beach trip and found a good amount of small teeth (smallest was actually 3mm long. No idea how i found it) but being new we have a bit of difficulty identifying some of our teeth. Could someone help identify these 2? My ring is for size reference.

we found both the first day we arrived…late afternoon and in sand with a few shells but not shell bed and no digging/sifting (or whatever i do with my fingers to find the baby teeth) and kind of just happened upon them when scanning. Can anyone tell me what these are? Both slightly less than an inch. I appreciate your time and looking! I included pics of front, back and each individually. Both have serrations on both sides if it’s hard to see.

EFA3335A-5587-4EB6-BDF0-CA858EB24BE2.jpeg

CD8AA27A-61DB-461C-BBB6-CCC46F352A6B.jpeg

7CE892ED-29C5-4ABA-83A2-CA2B8499ED00.jpeg

19A1A6C8-2B3E-476C-82AE-A55892EA05E9.jpeg

Edited by SuchAClassicGirl

Hello. These are requiem shark teeth (Carcharhinus sp.) Requiems are the group that includes bull, dusky, bronze whaler, and many other sharks. 

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

I’m no expert but the one on the left looks like a bronze whaler. If it on the thinner side I would say I am correct. 
but hopefully more experienced people chime in

1 hour ago, hokietech96 said:

I’m no expert but the one on the left looks like a bronze whaler. If it on the thinner side I would say I am correct. 

who cares if you’re an expert….YOU’RE a HOKIE. I live in Blacksburg (grew up here, left awhile came back) and my house is within walking distance of Carol Lee donuts!!

Hey would you guys mind if I posted a couple other pics of teeth to possibly ID? While hubs and i have a good guess on some, I'm finding many sharks have very similar shaped teeth and I’m having trouble telling some from the others. Id rather not start a new thread if possible.

3 hours ago, hokietech96 said:

Carcharhinids are often difficult ID down to a species. I don't think the left one is C. brachyurus, the crown is too broad:

ds1076c04-web.jpeg.a18acf1e88d8d46c967cd912d1311830.jpeg

^http://www.elasmo.com/frameMe.html?file=genera/cenozoic/sharks/carcharhinus.html&menu=bin/menu_genera-alt.html

I think bull shark is more likely for both (C. leucas).

2 hours ago, SuchAClassicGirl said:

Hey would you guys mind if I posted a couple other pics of teeth to possibly ID? While hubs and i have a good guess on some, I'm finding many sharks have very similar shaped teeth and I’m having trouble telling some from the others. Id rather not start a new thread if possible.

That should be fine.

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Instagram: @thephysicist_tff

Sorry! Had a crazy day running errands after vacation. Ok im just going to post these grouped pics which arent fantastic and i apologize.

3rd pic im just still in awe of how tiny it is. Or how i even found it! 

9EB6CA85-6619-4455-8A4E-2FDC75D5AA27.jpeg

21FAF8B6-827F-42AE-B18E-52263F072182.jpeg

77294B07-AA76-4CDE-A1B1-B60A47B8F591.jpeg

Also… we found this 2 years ago. No clue what it is or if it’s anything. All found down in myrtle beach between grand strand and murrell’s inlet! Thanks for your help!

F1308280-A2E2-41BB-B99E-687699FD6A27.jpeg

64F246A4-603A-4334-8AF6-CB27681C0612.jpeg

0A9CCAD9-0E30-4CED-8D75-3E6F77557B24.jpeg

9EB6CA85-6619-4455-8A4E-2FDC75D5AA27.jpeg.cd2acb082a88af852327bcf3d41b6d3d.thumb.jpeg.a853510533199304862a7adb55a5e74d.jpeg

21FAF8B6-827F-42AE-B18E-52263F072182.thumb.jpeg.08971e675338b954ab10cfdfb9606544.jpeg.64fa5f3e953fe1c1a0b6e724509ce874.jpeg

The smallest tooth doesn't have enough resolution for me to identify; it's also partial. I'm not sure on the unlabeled tooth in the first group. The last object is not a tooth, and that's all I can say about it. That GW has some nice serrations.

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Instagram: @thephysicist_tff

Thank you! That helps us so much! Thought that was a great white as well as the lemon and tiger! Dunno what that last thing is lol You can see why us first time searchers (2 years ago) kept it anyway! :heartylaugh:

oh and idc what that tiny one is…just think it’s adorable! Haha

Edited by SuchAClassicGirl