Shark teeth ID, Texas

Austin83

I found about 20 shark teeth in a creek in North Texas, and I’m having some trouble IDing the teeth in the attached photo.  They are about 1” in length.  Mako or maybe a White Shark?  Any help is greatly appreciated.  

B9C7DBB7-FD52-4A72-9FAA-75B1B124E9B1.thumb.png.4a8aa2eb9750485de96207a0fc8b48d4.png

Edited by Austin83

These are probably Cretaceous, too old to be mako or great white. Shark teeth are difficult to identify without the roots.

Edited by Al Dente
  • I Agree 1

These are almost definitely Cretaceous as @Al Dente postulated. Are these from Post Oak Creek? (If not, don't feel pressured to divulge your honey hole :).) Second from the right could be goblin, the rest could be Cretolamna. Can't be 100% certain without the whole tooth.

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Instagram: @thephysicist_tff

1 minute ago, ThePhysicist said:

These are almost definitely Cretaceous as @Al Dente postulated. Are these from Post Oak Creek? (If not, don't feel pressured to divulge your honey hole :).) Second from the right could be goblin, the rest could be Cretolamna. Can't be 100% certain without the whole tooth.

Yep, found in the popular Post Oak Creek

• I found this Informative 1

Just now, Austin83 said:

Yep, found in the popular Post Oak Creek

No white sharks or makos there, unfortunately. The teeth are drawn from the Eagle Ford Group which is Late Cretaceous in age (~90 million years old). The most common genera are: Scapanorhynchus (goblin), Squalicorax (crow), Cretolamna, Cretodus, Cretoxyrhina (ginsu), and Ptychodus. 99% of the teeth you'll find there will be one of those.

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Instagram: @thephysicist_tff

4 minutes ago, ThePhysicist said:

No white sharks or makos there, unfortunately. The teeth are drawn from the Eagle Ford Group which is Late Cretaceous in age (~90 million years old). The most common genera are: Scapanorhynchus (goblin), Squalicorax (crow), Cretolamna, Cretodus, Cretoxyrhina (ginsu), and Ptychodus. 99% of the teeth you'll find there will be one of those.

Great, thanks for the information!  Here is the rest of what we found this morning.  Again, thanks for the help.

A6D2DA69-1FD6-4B57-AA1C-ECA3F310E064.jpeg

• Enjoyed 1