Inherited #3 anything jump out at you?

mdlock

If you want some IDs you have sadly you will have do individual photos of each item.  

Sorry for repeating  I did see the post before . 

Edited by Bobby Rico

I am just asking if there is anything that a "trained" eye that I obviously am not that someone

sees something that would be worth posting. Nothing will ever be sold as to preserve these amazing remnants of the past for my grandchildren.

Could be plenty of goodies in there to please the grandkids. If it was my collection I would buy some very cheap cardboard trays/boxes (they white in colour) and cottonwool and sort them out a bit . Make the collection much more enjoyable to look at and we will help you with as much info that we can . I think this collection is worth saving.

Thank you I will do just that as soon as I locate my glasses. I will post time to time with im sure many inquires.

I like the shark vertabrae. It was the first thing my eye noticed. You also have some coral and shell fossils.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

1 hour ago, mdlock said:

Thank you I will do just that as soon as I locate my glasses. I will post time to time with im sure many inquires.

An alternative to the perky boxes is a tackle box, or a hardware box that one used to keep nails, nuts, bolts, et

I noticed that “manta ray teeth” is written on the plastic bag. Those are more in the “stingray” family. Manta ray teeth are tiny

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

7 hours ago, hemipristis said:

I noticed that “manta ray teeth” is written on the plastic bag.

Yeah, please post all these labeled and bagged stuff, including the label, @mdlock. Unfortunately, some labels have already fallen off.

In general, this seems to be a wild mixture of different stuff. Some Cenozoic marine fossils (I am noticing a nice "Glycimeris", the big white shell to the left), but probably also some Cretaceous oyster-like bivalves? There is also a steinkern of a high-spired gastropod.

Franz Bernhard

Edited by FranzBernhard
  • I found this Informative 1

ok looks like i will be googling a few things. you are all awesome for help and suggestions. This has inspired me to take my grandkids and a 12 year old son to go on some fossil hunts. In other words find all the cool looking things we can. Any suggestions??? I live in Maryland around 95 corridor from Baltimore to my sons in Cecil County in Northern Md. 

I did locate glasses...

38 minutes ago, mdlock said:

ok looks like i will be googling a few things. you are all awesome for help and suggestions. This has inspired me to take my grandkids and a 12 year old son to go on some fossil hunts. In other words find all the cool looking things we can. Any suggestions??? I live in Maryland around 95 corridor from Baltimore to my sons in Cecil County in Northern Md. 

I did locate glasses...

I've never collected in Maryland myself but Calvert Cliffs is a famous public site for shark teeth close by (in my rural state definition) to your location.

Cecil County has records of Cretaceous and Eocene plant fossils you could try looking into. You can find lots of information on site prospecting in the pinned topics of the fossil hunting trips sub forum.

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/forum/20-fossil-hunting-trips/

Finally, clubs and societies are often a great way to get to know more about the area, connect with people with experience, and often go on collecting field trips. There seems to be a lot in the area so I'd do some research and find which ones seem to fit your interests the most. Here's a list. http://www.mgs.md.gov/geology/clubs.html