Hollardops trilobite confirmation

Hi All, 

Still pretty new to the fossil ID world. I found this Hollardops online- unfortunate shortage of in-person rock shops where I am. What makes me think it's real is the repaired cracking in the matrix/cheek, the well-detailed eye facets, and general signs of mid-level prep. What has me slightly uncertain are the little knobbies on the cephalon- on real trilobites those are definitely a feature, but from these photos my eye may not be trained enough to tell natural knobs from bubbles. Any input greatly appreciated!

Best, 

Noah 

hollardops6.jpg

hollardops5.jpg

hollardops4.jpg

hollardops3.jpg

hollardops2.jpg

Real, although a bit rough on the prep job. 

• I Agree 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Agreed. It might have been given a coat of something to hide any scribe dings and other mishaps.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

On 8/6/2021 at 7:15 AM, Kane said:

Agreed. It might have been given a coat of something to hide any scribe dings and other mishaps.

Would you advise against using Acetone or any solvent like that to remove artificial coating or is that generally safe? Thank you both for the replies! 

Edited by NoahW24

Using acetone should not cause any damage to the actual shell of the trilobite, but if you were to soak the entire trilobite in an acetone bath, there is a very good chance it will dissolve the glue that holds the trilobite together along the "discovery" crack. 

I suppose it very much depends on your preference. You may not like the result of seeing all the dings and possible discolourations. For display purposes, a bit of enhancement is not a bad thing; it's only a more serious issue if the specimen is scientifically significant where enhancements impede the ability of researchers to study the piece in its more natural state.

On 8/8/2021 at 7:40 AM, Kane said:

Using acetone should not cause any damage to the actual shell of the trilobite, but if you were to soak the entire trilobite in an acetone bath, there is a very good chance it will dissolve the glue that holds the trilobite together along the "discovery" crack. 

I suppose it very much depends on your preference. You may not like the result of seeing all the dings and possible discolourations. For display purposes, a bit of enhancement is not a bad thing; it's only a more serious issue if the specimen is scientifically significant where enhancements impede the ability of researchers to study the piece in its more natural state.

I see- that is good to note. I’ve been getting good advice from the folks in the fossil prep section, so maybe the time to hunker into a purist mentality is with my own work, and to let this Hollardops wear some makeup if it is so inclined. 

I spent some time yesterday afternoon catching up on your prep thread by the way! Some fantastic work you’ve done- I really enjoyed hearing about the nuance in angle of approach and seeing your sketched out battle plans. Lots of fun to witness some bugs’ first look at the world 400,000,000 years later! 

23 hours ago, NoahW24 said:

I see- that is good to note. I’ve been getting good advice from the folks in the fossil prep section, so maybe the time to hunker into a purist mentality is with my own work, and to let this Hollardops wear some makeup if it is so inclined. 

I spent some time yesterday afternoon catching up on your prep thread by the way! Some fantastic work you’ve done- I really enjoyed hearing about the nuance in angle of approach and seeing your sketched out battle plans. Lots of fun to witness some bugs’ first look at the world 400,000,000 years later! 

Aye, if the "makeup" is done tastefully and doesn't call too much attention to itself, then it can certainly add to the aesthetics of the specimen. :) 

My thanks for your kind words on my prep journey as it muddles along. :P I truly need to get back into the little lab, and I certainly will once I get readjusted to teaching in person this autumn!