Thoughts on Vevor Stereo Microscope?

joecooper84

Looking to buy a stereo microscope to use with an air scribe and air eraser (in a blast cabinet) on echinoids and ammonites.

This one seems very reasonably priced, but I have no idea what to look for in terms of quality. Will the image be blurry? Will I not be able to find any parts for this? https://www.vevor.com/collections/stereo-microscope/products/vevor-binocular-stereo-microscope-zoom-microscope-7x-45x-dual-arm-boom-with-led (price is about $250)

If needed, I'll go ahead and buy an AMScope (dual boom, trinocular, and light ring) which comes to $576.94 on their site (seems to be the same price as online for the same model)

Edited by joecooper84

I am not familiar with this brand but some say that only 3-4 companies make all of these today. As you will have the microscope outside, above the window and hold the piece inside to focus range, the website states 

• Working Distance: Up to 4"/100 mm= consider if this is what you are able to work with. 

That 4"/100 mm is how far I'd have to hold the fossil from the lens for it to be clear? Like "between 0 and 4 inches"?

If so, that is why I should get a barlow lens, right?

10 hours ago, joecooper84 said:

That 4"/100 mm is how far I'd have to hold the fossil from the lens for it to be clear? Like "between 0 and 4 inches"?

If so, that is why I should get a barlow lens, right?

At zero distance it would block all light and unfocused. Unless a very special dark field scope and lens and then almost touching a microscope slide. So your scope would need to be almost touching the outside of the window while you examine your work or take it out and check it. It also would depend on which media you use for how long it may take to start clouding the inside glass surface. I would think that the 3-4 inch focus max range with 10 X eye pieces may be about it.