help with identifying ichthyosaur vertebare

Rhiguita

Hello, I bought this ichthyosaur vertebra at a gem show the other day and I was hoping that some one might be able to help me identify where in England it might have come from or even if they might know what genus it might be so I could make a more detailed label for it.  

Thank you for your help

20210815_124207_HDR.thumb.jpg.c225e583046912f95c124b13ee4d089d.jpg

more angles of the vertebra

20210815_125209_HDR.thumb.jpg.7f02013d483127b4c5964b37ed365423.jpg20210815_125216_HDR.thumb.jpg.146651efa36b1130e1e85abe026b9784.jpg

Are you sure its ichthyosaur as nutrient holes are large but that may just be species.

could it be an atlas vertebra from a plesiosaur ? may need more photos 

• I found this Informative 1

thank you for the help in identifying the formation and location, that should help me narrow my research and identify what it is.

4 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Kimmeridge Clay, Dorset, judging from the colouring. 

1 hour ago, Mike from North Queensland said:

Are you sure its ichthyosaur as nutrient holes are large but that may just be species.

could it be an atlas vertebra from a plesiosaur ? may need more photos 

I was told it was an ichthyosaur vertebrae when I purchased it, but i did notice that some of the fossils looked somewhat misidentified, I might have to try to get the field guide from the paleontological association on the fossils of the Kimmeridge clay to get a better identification. 

Kimmeridge Clay plesiosaur vertebra dredged off the Smallmouth Sands at Weymouth. You can tell it's plesiosaur for the subcentral foramina, which ichthyosaurs don't have. As the borders of the vertebra are somewhat worn, it's difficult to make out what species the vertebra could've belonged to. In any case, to me it looks more like a plesiosaurid rather than a pliosaurid vertebra. And the species most plesiosaur vertebra from this locality get attributed to is Colymbosaurus trochanterius.

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

On 8/16/2021 at 9:48 AM, Rhiguita said:

I was told it was an ichthyosaur vertebrae when I purchased it, but i did notice that some of the fossils looked somewhat misidentified

This can work in your favour at times..... with experience you can spot the misidentified fossils and sometimes they can be much cheaper than they should be! 

• I Agree 1