Mrhenky3

Hello everyone, 

(I'm new to this forum so please forgive me if I'm missing something important).

I've recentenly saw a theropod tooth listed for sale. This tooth was described as being found in the Bathonian section of the El Mers group, and is described as an Megalosaurid. I've tried to read upon some information, but i've come to notice that there is very little avaliable. I saw a post on this forum saying that theropod teeth from El Mers are still under debate, and that teeth from the Bathonian section require the gypsum matrix to be present in order to identify it as being Bathonian. I was wondering if this fossil fits the profile of being from the Bathonian section and could be a Megalosaursid, or i this is almost impossible to tell. 

The pictures of the tooth are not quite as clear as I would like, but i hope it will suffice.

Thanks in Advance.

Details of this tooth:

Size: 2x3 x5,5 cm from Morocco

El Mers group, Bathionian/ Callovian

image.png.cec39d80688e062453b0e863d7f52107.pngimage.png.cac08c504c6cd03ce1d27cbc6776f14b.pngimage.png.97b4a334592439c9242397a3d9be7abb.png

image.png.cdd439b14ea8babcd6e927d05153a8b6.pngimage.png.94fe90f311fdc4d1e32b6faad67d279c.pngimage.png.fd25c7e7df1e74a7ec487fffbd97b251.png

I cannot help you identify if this tooth is from the El Mers Group.  I'm not aware of anything publish on teeth from that area.  My biggest concern is local diggers or sellers lumping what they find in other areas under this group to help sell product.  What I can tell you about the tooth is that it does not appear to be a Meglosaurid if I correctly see that the mesial carina extends to the base (3rd photo)

• Thank You 1

You'd need to get more specific details on where it was found. There is some reason to be wary of alleged El Mers fossils because of the influx of Cretaceous Dekkar Group and Jurassic Ksar Metlili Formation specimens from Talsint, Figuig Province. Dekkar I think is the most common. But regardless, the Talsint fossils make up the vast majority of dinosaur teeth from the Atlas Mountain.

El Mers might just be an assumption, possibly because the existence of Ksar Metlili and the Dekkar isn't widespread. For a long time, El Mers was what you'd expect if you came across a specimen from this area, and it was quite rare. Unless the Talsint sites have re-sparked new interest in Boulamane as well.

Unless it's clearly not a morphology that could be found from the Kem Kem/Dekkar, I would take some caution before buying anything. But these specimens are very pretty though and I'm also guilty of buying them.

Edited by Kikokuryu
  • Thank You 1

Took another look at the tooth and will amend my comments to say it might be a meglosaurid.   I say that because of how robust it is.  Yes the mesial carina appears to extends to the base, which would say its not a meglosaurid but the more I look at the tooth I believe that its not complete and missing a portion of the bottom.  How much difficult to say with all the matrix around the base, but not trival.

39 minutes ago, Mrhenky3 said:

@Kikokuryu. Thank you for the additional information. 

@TroodonThe only information provided was the following:

Looks like Wikipedia but accurate if its from that group 

7 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Took another look at the tooth and will amend my comments to say it might be a meglosaurid.   I say that because of how robust it is.  Yes the mesial carina appears to extends to the base, which would say its not a meglosaurid but the more I look at the tooth I believe that its not complete and missing a portion of the bottom.  How much difficult to say with all the matrix around the base, but not trival.

Looks like Wikipedia but accurate if its from that group 

Thank you for taking another look. I will take this into consideration. 

@Mrhenky3

Please remember to NOT copy advertisement verbiage word for word.  

That is NOT ALLOWED on this Forum.

Please put it in your own words.

• I Agree 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

1 minute ago, Fossildude19 said:

@Mrhenky3

Please remember to NOT copy advertisement verbiage word for word.  

That is NOT ALLOWED on this Forum.

Please put it in your own words.

Sorry. I will edit/ delete it. Sorry for the inconvenience. 

• Thank You 1