Calli99

About a week ago my boyfriends' parents and uncle came to visit us in Lancaster and on Monday I had the pleasure of entertaining them for the day while my boyfriend was pulled away unexpectedly by work.

With the prospect of a beautiful drive (and of course, selfishly, some fossils) I decided to take them to Salthill Quarry. It's an interesting site as it's an old limestone quarry that has been turned into a nature reserve, in the middle of an industrial park. Whilst walking we all thought we could smell bakery goods and were getting hungry, I looked this up later and found a pet food producer is located in the park...:DOH:

Anyways it really is a fascinating place. As soon as you get to the fossiliferous part all you have to do is look down, grab a handful of gravel, look closely and you will find that that gravel is actually thousands of crinoid ossicles. The floor is literally littered with them, it would be impossible to walk away from this site without fossils. It's a fantastic show of just how prevalent crinoids were and how they flourished in this area 340 mya.

There isn't much to find apart from crinoids, although I found a couple of small rugose corals and plenty of calyces too.

Overall everyone had a good time, it's easy hunting so turned out to be a great place to bring people who had never really thought about fossils much before.

I haven't got far on IDs yet but hopefully I'll be able to ID most of the calyces.

IMG_5905.jpeg

IMG_5908.jpeg

IMG_5912.jpeg

IMG_5922.jpeg

IMG_6156.jpeg

IMG_6175.jpeg

IMG_6165.jpeg Amphoracrinus sp.?

IMG_6174.jpeg

IMG_6185.jpeg Also Amphoracrinus sp.?

IMG_6167.jpeg 

This fossil cracked in two, on the other side is a large, broken calyx (below). Whilst cleaning it I discovered the whole Amphoracrinus sp. calyx above and managed to pick it out.

IMG_6169.jpeg

IMG_6164.jpeg I have no idea what is covering this crinoid stem. 

IMG_6163.jpeg

IMG_6177.jpeg

IMG_6178.jpeg

IMG_6179.jpeg

IMG_6180.jpeg

There are many other types of crinoid species stems as well, too many to photograph them all.

IMG_6162.jpeg

The rugose corals, I think Dibunophyllum sp.

Edited by Calli99
  • I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 2

A UK location that I have never visited. 

Wish I had now. 

I spent years hunting in the UK Lower Carboniferous but never found that many calyxes. 

Wonderful finds and a great report.

Thank you. :)

• Thank You 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

On 8/28/2021 at 11:56 PM, Tidgy's Dad said:

A UK location that I have never visited. 

Wish I had now. 

I spent years hunting in the UK Lower Carboniferous but never found that many calyxes. 

Wonderful finds and a great report.

I live in Lancaster for uni so am trying to discover new fossil locations here in the North West. The Carboniferous yields very interesting fossils, but they have been few and far between so far (apart from Salthill Quarry of course).