erose

Hey folks, hopefully some of you can help me with this odd thing.  It was collected back in 2008 from a small exposure of the Pecan Gap Formation, Taylor Group (Upper Cretaceous) in Austin, Texas. It was found in amongst typical marine fossils such as Exogyra, baculites, bivalves, gastropods and a few scrappy shark teeth.  I feel like I have seen this before in a book or museum but I have had no luck looking through my own library. As you can see it has a bone-like outer texture but the shape is unlike any bone I know of. But then I am not a "vertebrate guy."

All suggestions welcome...

DSC_0818.JPG

DSC_0822.JPG

DSC_0820.JPG

DSC_0823.JPG

DSC_0821.JPG

DSC_0819.JPG

Ha! The first mystery item from Texas that is not a rudist ;).

Shoot in the dark: Sponge?

Edit: It was veeery dark and I was wrong :BigSmile:. Indeed learned something new!
Franz Bernhard

Edited by FranzBernhard
  • Thank You 1

I agree with mos tooth root.

• I Agree 1

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

OKAY! Cool beans.  That would be the most interesting find from what was a very small exposure made accessible only for a few brief months before they graded it back over.

• Enjoyed 1

9 hours ago, Gareth_ said:

Yep, it's a root. It's a shame there is no crown cos that'd just add to the awesomeness of the find..... @pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon may be able to identify it further. Or is today going to be the day he is finally stumped? :D

Definitely a mosasaur tooth root. But as these aren't diagnostic, there's little in terms I can add in terms of identification :)

Beautiful find! :default_clap2:

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

4 hours ago, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

But as these aren't diagnostic, there's little in terms I can add in terms of identification :)

I'll let you off the hook, being non diagnostic seems like a fairly good excuse haha

• Enjoyed 1

6 hours ago, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

Definitely a mosasaur tooth root. But as these aren't diagnostic, there's little in terms I can add in terms of identification :)

Beautiful find! :default_clap2:

As much as I love to be able to identify fossils to species or at least genus level I am quite happy to label this as "Mosasaur Tooth Root."  

• Enjoyed 2