Soooo a few days ago new material was dumped at the Aurora Fossil Museum. Well, I made the trip there before the Saturday crowds, and was well rewarded!!! These were the best finds of the day =p btw the stuff underneath the shark verts are 2 stingray spines, a filefish vert, a burrfish bone, a beat up dolphin jaw bone, and what I think is some type of fish skull cap

96574461-3A15-4CAA-9744-0119C53702A2.jpeg

Edited by Landon
  • Enjoyed 7

Nice finds! The vertebrae are cool and hemis are nice too.

• Thank You 1

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

Thanks! I only started collecting fossils this past summer, when the first of those large makos fell out I was like whaaaaaaat! Biggest teeth I’ve found so far, psyched!

Is that a great white in there, that's a cool find, all the teeth are really nice. A wide array of several species.

• Thank You 1

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

1 hour ago, Top Trilo said:

Is that a great white in there, that's a cool find, all the teeth are really nice. A wide array of several species.

Thanks!! Not sure which one you’re referring to, but no great whites. There is a C. chubutensis (basically a cusped megalodon) and a C. hastalis though (broad form giant white shark I think), that might be what you’re referring to..

11 hours ago, Landon said:

Thanks!! Not sure which one you’re referring to, but no great whites. There is a C. chubutensis (basically a cusped megalodon) and a C. hastalis though (broad form giant white shark I think), that might be what you’re referring to..

:DOH: Yes I meant white shark instead of great white shark, made that mistake not too long ago. I was referring to the one second from the top and second from the left

5 hours ago, Top Trilo said:

:DOH: Yes I meant white shark instead of great white shark, made that mistake not too long ago. I was referring to the one second from the top and second from the left

It’s all good, I mean they definitely share similar shapes too

I've not heard of fresh material being dumped there at this time of the year.  I thought they brought material in only before the Aurora Fossil Festival in May.  Have things changed?

Don

49 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

I've not heard of fresh material being dumped there at this time of the year.  I thought they brought material in only before the Aurora Fossil Festival in May.  Have things changed?

Don

They posted that they were dumping new dirt last Wednesday afternoon on Facebook. I think they said they usually get some in the fall but it came earlier than usual or something like that. But they def had new dirt

54 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

Sounds like it's first come first served there ;)

Lol definitely didn’t hurt beating out the Saturday people, but there’s still plenty of fossils left. Always find something when I go there

On 8/31/2021 at 10:31 AM, Landon said:

Thanks! I only started collecting fossils this past summer, when the first of those large makos fell out I was like whaaaaaaat! Biggest teeth I’ve found so far, psyched!

Any chance you could take photos from both sides of the two fossils that I've circled?  They may be something unusual

96574461-3A15-4CAA-9744-0119C53702A2.jpeg.66e7198d72fc5d3cf8df2caf70de870d.jpeg

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

6 hours ago, hemipristis said:

Any chance you could take photos from both sides of the two fossils that I've circled?  They may be something unusual

96574461-3A15-4CAA-9744-0119C53702A2.jpeg.66e7198d72fc5d3cf8df2caf70de870d.jpeg

Yea here are the pics

969E0423-833E-4A98-8BFF-3F88260FA326.jpeg

846B950F-9204-434C-8AFA-D8B6322EDAD9.jpeg

3D47A936-90FA-4A88-9BFF-8CCEED7EA162.jpeg

81C5FF22-FA28-47C9-AC77-FAB3DF291603.jpeg

CA7CD956-01FB-4621-AD5A-5E82A9D2495C.jpeg

0A88CFA1-033F-4D9D-A345-0B8C779B8689.jpeg