New Jersey Cretaceous - my best artifact

frankh8147

Hello everyone!

I went to my favorite stream the other day in Monmouth County and had a really good dig so I wanted to show my finds!

I found a really pathological shark tooth and a Mosasaur tooth on what was going to be my last sift, but my best find of the day was my artifact - a 3,000 - 8,000 year old serrated spear head!

As you would think, after finding it, I contacted every artifact expert I knew for an opinion. The most common consensus is that it's a Meadowood (roughly 3,000 years old) but there are other opinions that it could be Archaic, so that's why that age range is so big. Either way, something like this is extremely rare in New Jersey, and really made my summer! :)

20210828_164506.jpg

20210830_174753~2.jpg

• I found this Informative 3
  • Enjoyed 15

Dang, that's a great trifecta of finds! I'm loving that pathological tooth!

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

Amazing!!!! Congrats!!!  Great finds!!!  

I have been going to the wrong stream this summer :shakehead:.  Haha.  At least I have been getting out.

• Thank You 1

That point is stellar:wub::yay-smiley-1:congrats!

• Thank You 1

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Great finds that point is a thing of beauty :envy:

John

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

Be happy while you're living for you're a long time dead.

Triple WOW, Frank! I would have been more than happy with either the mo' tooth or the pathological, but that wonderfully intact artifact is beyond awesome! Big congrats. Wish I could join you for some of these hunts. 

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 2

Awesome finds, Frank!   :envy:

Well done, sir!

• Thank You 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Great finds Frank! The heavy rains we have been getting in NJ must have really shook up the stream there. Perfect timing!

• Thank You 1

Follow me on Instagram (@fossil_mike) to check out my personal collection of fossils collected and acquired over more than 15 years of fossil hunting!

Thanks everyone!!

18 hours ago, Jeffrey P said:

Triple WOW, Frank! I would have been more than happy with either the mo' tooth or the pathological, but that wonderfully intact artifact is beyond awesome! Big congrats. Wish I could join you for some of these hunts. 

Thanks Jeff! Just let me know when you have a day free - the streams are hitting hard this year (but then again, I think I say that every year :) ).

Congratulations on the kind of trip that makes everyone envious and want to get out hunting themselves.  That point is amazing, especially combined with the pathological and mosasaur. :envy:

• Enjoyed 1

12 hours ago, RandyB said:

Congratulations on the kind of trip that makes everyone envious and want to get out hunting themselves.  That point is amazing, especially combined with the pathological and mosasaur. :envy:

Thanks Randy - glad I can inspire others to get into the streams! The only things that inspire me to go digging are eating, going to work, waking up, watching tv, sneezing, blinking my eyes, walking, and breathing. Other than those occurrences, I guess I'm pretty un-motivated :)

• Enjoyed 1