Stone or Fossil?

Ima Surchin

Limestone for me too.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

1 hour ago, Rockwood said:

Funky texture when you zoom in ?

Well, I'm blind as a badger, but I think so, yes. Glasses.gif.2c97b2f35da555b8910e3ae9aca59d0c.gif

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

The first of the last photos looks like apiece of rock with several poorly preserved shells or shell impressions   If it were mine i would put it in a box with a label.  But i would also contact the dallas paleontology society  and go on a field trip with them  or go to mineral wells fossil park.  Texas has so many spectacular fossil sites that i would want well preserved fossils  and friends to collect with.—-val

:b_idea: There you go. I'm pretty sure this is crinoidal limestone. The texture in the first one may represent an accumulation of tiny pinnules. A certain percentage of it may be oolitic in nature. 

39 minutes ago, val horn said:

The first of the last photos looks like apiece of rock with several poorly preserved shells or shell impressions   If it were mine i would put it in a box with a label.  But i would also contact the dallas paleontology society  and go on a field trip with them  or go to mineral wells fossil park.  Texas has so many spectacular fossil sites that i would want well preserved fossils  and friends to collect with.—-val

Thank you all, I absolutely love this...

IMHO I see weathered limestone. Here in central Texas limestone of many many textures makes up the majority of the geology. But “central” Texas is still a big place so knowing where it was found would help us know what kind of rock it really is. 

also in my humble opinion it is not crinoidal limestone.

Well, I started out thinking rock only. Then I put on my reading glasses and zoomed in. I do see @Rockwood's point about the texture in some of the photos. There is no one part that I can point to and say "There's a fossil," but some of the patterning reminds me of a compact conglomeration of tiny crinoid fragments that I've had sitting in my office. 

IMG_0396.thumb.jpg.2838a21c937667e544cccd0d84af0904.jpg

It's possible that there's some of this going on in some portions of some of the rocks in this post. I agree with @val horn that going out on some fossil hunts with other folks and to sites where there are known to be well-preserved fossils will be exciting. I, too, started out posting pictures of rocks that seemed a bit too complex in texture and shape to be merely geological. Some were and some weren't, and some we couldn't tell. But it's one thing to have a specimen that's mostly a rock with possibly some poorly preserved fragments of fossils in it and something quite different to find a bona fide, incontrovertible fossil. 

Happy hunting

I'm not sure what I'm seeing, so the rudist remains in matrix will be just a hypothesis.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library