The Munich Show - Fair

Phos_01

Hello,

Did anyone attent to the Munich fair in previous editions? 

Its from the 22-24th October this year. Got a tip that it should be interesting. 

Im considering going, but its an 8hour drive from my home. Im not interested in Minerals or jewelry, just Dinosaur stuff, so would really help out if someone here knows how the fair is ? Is it good? Is there allot of Fossil-Dinosaur material? 

Thanks for your opinions!

Best,

Egon

I live in Munich and was already several times at the Munich Show. Its just a 30 min drive to the Munich Show for me, so I try to attend it everytime. 

I have no idea how many sellers from outside Germany are this year at the show. Last year there was no show due to COVID. So we will have to see how things will go this year.

Before COVID there where a lot of sellers from Morocco. You know, the usual stuff. I would say 90 % is the usual trash that is more or less worthless if you are an experienced collector. If you are early when the show opens up, you can find some nice Spino teeth or even a Carch teeth of good quality. But it is not like you find there your 6 inch all natural Spino tooth you always wanted. 

These sellers are mostly Moroccans who have no scientific interest what so ever. Its just about the money. So you have your "African T-Rex" for Carch or "Raptors" for Abelisaurid and other fake names like that. 

You can find some nice Mosasaur bones, but also the usual fake fabrications of whole skulls that are just garbage. 

If you look for Dinomaterial from the US, there is no need to come to Munich. There is basically nothing from North America.  

To sum it up: Only come to Munich if you can make it early saturday when the show opens up for public, because all good stuff will be sold early on. If you are not interested in KemKem stuff from Morocco there is also no need to come, as this is basically the only Dinosaur fossil stuff sold there.

Of course there can be exceptions, but I would not count on that. 

• I found this Informative 2

15 hours ago, Abstraktum said:

But it is not like you find there your 6 inch all natural Spino tooth you always wanted. 

my face right now after reading this review lol 

fossil.jpg

Germany is mostly about marine fossils. Ammonites, fish from Solnhofen and so on. You can find great stuff like this there, but if you really just look for Dinos I would not drive from Belgium to Munich.

Of course you can still come and check it out. We can meet up and I show you around at the show. As long as you are fully vaccinated there are no restrictions on anything right now in Munich, so you can check out the city as well. 

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1

@Phos_01

I recommend you to look at these pictures from Denver

You can expect basically the same stuff in Munich. You see how much (or to put it better: how little) Dino material really there is. 

On 9/12/2021 at 7:56 PM, Abstraktum said:

@Phos_01

I recommend you to look at these pictures from Denver

You can expect basically the same stuff in Munich. You see how much (or to put it better: how little) Dino material really there is. 

Thank you for sharing this info! Not much there from looking at the photos, I would have to look closer. I will not be making the trip to Munich. I need to sure there is some of my interest. Moroccan stuff can be really good, but most of it I don't want. I guess the Tucson show is the best one out there. All tough Im hearing most of the dealers stuff is already sold a week before they setup their booth. I guess it all comes down to having the exact right contacts 

My advice I go to Tucson every year, to find good material you have to be present at the opening of the exhibition

• 2 weeks later...

I'm planning to go to the Munich show this year, i'm interested in Morocco stuff, what time should I arrive to see/purchase the good fossils?

On 9/15/2021 at 6:09 PM, michele 1937 said:
My advice I go to Tucson every year, to find good material you have to be present at the opening of the exhibition

I want to go, but the trip from Belgium, to the States just for this fair is a little crazy. Perhaps with a combination of a vacation there. But I believe its the best fair in the world. 

3 hours ago, jacob86795 said:

I'm planning to go to the Munich show this year, i'm interested in Morocco stuff, what time should I arrive to see/purchase the good fossils?

Usually at the very start, try to be there a little in advance before doors are opening, and if you can please provide some photos of the fair here in this topic when you have visited! This helps allot for other users

Thanks ! 

Edited by Phos_01