Did I find a Shark Tooth?

EvoKingX

It's in tough shape, but it looks like one. 

I don't recall them being common finds in that area though, so you might want to wait for other opinions.

Hi,

Take a look at my last link in my signature and in the future don’t take your fossils in your hands to make the pictures ;)

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

For a coral it's doing a good job looking like bone texture and the crown of a crushing form of chondrichthyan tooth though.

1 hour ago, val horn said:

I dont see anything that resembles a shark tooth. No enamel, and a pattern of lines not typical for root structure

Ptychodus ? A little, maybe ? :unsure:

Im still leaning towards tooth, i dont think my pics show it very well…its been tumbled and beat up from Superior but it sure has the look and shape of tooth more that coral(from what ive seen from pics anyways) It looks like the enamel has worn off from half of it, I will try to post a couple better pics. Thanks for the input!

1 hour ago, EvoKingX said:

Im still leaning towards tooth, i dont think my pics show it very well…its been tumbled and beat up from Superior but it sure has the look and shape of tooth more that coral(from what ive seen from pics anyways) It looks like the enamel has worn off from half of it, I will try to post a couple better pics. Thanks for the input!

I think coral would most likely react (bubble) when exposed to vinegar. A tooth probably wouldn't.

I agree with coral, resembles it much more than a shark's tooth, and much of the great lakes area has abundant corals like this.

image.jpeg.1cf32e7c2439c1208f30590ac8f408b1.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

I would go with rugose coral as well, but for the sake of the argument, can you take a side photo of your piece?