Is this fossil real? And if yes, what is it?

Tina frankston

Hey pals!

I came across this fossil at an antique store and was wondering if it is real or fake. And if it is in fact, real, what species does this fossil belong to?

would be great if someone could help me out, thank you!! :) 

024C508B-89CB-400D-9D6A-406BAE777B2A.jpeg

Unfortunately, this appears to be a product of the human imagination, a carving likely inspired by actual fossils (such as Keichosaurus). 

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 4

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Not much more to say about the artwork, but I would like to point out the nice and careful packing. It seems to be quite old (tens of years) and opened and closed quite often. Would be nice to have some provenance about it. @Tina frankston, do you know anything about the history of this item?

2 minutes ago, Praefectus said:

That is a sized down model of a Cotylorhynchus skeleton. 

Do you know something about the production date and the use? I am really impressed by the packing!
Franz Bernhard

Edited by FranzBernhard

Nice piece of artwork. 

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

1 hour ago, FranzBernhard said:

Not much more to say about the artwork, but I would like to point out the nice and careful packing. It seems to be quite old (tens of years) and opened and closed quite often. Would be nice to have some provenance about it. @Tina frankston, do you know anything about the history of this item?

Do you know something about the production date and the use? I am really impressed by the packing!
Franz Bernhard

Hey there @FranzBernhard! I wasn't told where its from or its production date but I reckon that it's from China as it had traditional Chinese deco motifs on the box, similar to this image. Came across it in Singapore btw!

Red Chinese Seal Paste &amp; Ceramic Paste Container with Blue Dragons - ASIAN  BRUSHPAINTER 

• Thank You 1

6 hours ago, FranzBernhard said:

No, sorry. I just recognized the mini model because I've seen reproductions of that particular Cotylorhynchus skeleton before. 

• Thank You 1