Serrated megalodon or chubutensis teeth

Jerrychang

Do you know where it was found? The species like Megalodon, Chubutensis, Angustidens, etc only have borders because people put them there. Not only is it like a spectrum where there is no time of dramatic jump between species, just a gradual change over time but also variation between individuals. Having said this I'm unsure where I would put the line it looks like an early megalodon and a later chubutensis. Perhaps another member knows a more defined line and will be able to make a more accurate determination. Great tooth by the way.

• I Agree 2

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

3 hours ago, Top Trilo said:

Do you know where it was found? The species like Megalodon, Chubutensis, Angustidens, etc only have borders because people put them there. Not only is it like a spectrum where there is no time of dramatic jump between species, just a gradual change over time but also variation between individuals. Having said this I'm unsure where I would put the line it looks like an early megalodon and a later chubutensis. Perhaps another member knows a more defined line and will be able to make a more accurate determination. Great tooth by the way.

I only know it comes from a river in Virginia.

8 hours ago, Jerrychang said:

I only know it comes from a river in Virginia.

It is complicated. You should read this thread.

• I found this Informative 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

It's almost on the line between the two.... enough to say it's O. chubutensis, enough to say (early) O. megalodon. So I'd agree with what @Top Trilo said

In this case, you could probably call it either one amongst friends and who ever you show it to (if you own this? ...or are looking to buy it). You're not really wrong either way.

At the end of the day, it is a very nice example of a tooth from a Megatoothed shark, beautiful serrations, enamel and root! 

• Thank You 1

2 hours ago, Gareth_ said:

It's almost on the line between the two.... enough to say it's O. chubutensis, enough to say (early) O. megalodon. So I'd agree with what @Top Trilo said

In this case, you could probably call it either one amongst friends and who ever you show it to (if you own this? ...or are looking to buy it). You're not really wrong either way.

At the end of the day, it is a very nice example of a tooth from a Megatoothed shark, beautiful serrations, enamel and root! 

I bought it 3 weeks ago and it finally arrived. I took those pictures with my phone.

7 minutes ago, Jerrychang said:

I bought it 3 weeks ago and it finally arrived. I took those pictures with my phone.

In that case, I bet you are very please with it! :)
Have you got any other teeth from the Otodus genus on order? You've got quite a collection going 

1 hour ago, Gareth_ said:

In that case, I bet you are very please with it! :)
Have you got any other teeth from the Otodus genus on order? You've got quite a collection going 

Yes it looks just like the pictures the seller gave me .I still have a small angustiden and a 2.1” great white (as a comparison)on order.

8 hours ago, Jerrychang said:

Yes it looks just like the pictures the seller gave me .I still have a small angustiden and a 2.1” great white (as a comparison)on order.

Nice! Post some pics up when they arrive 

• I Agree 1