Where are all the British mosasaurs?

pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon

On 5/23/2022 at 6:41 PM, The Amateur Paleontologist said:

Also, I think it would be a good idea to introduce into this discussion the aspect of collecting bias, which undoubtedly skewers our data ;)

As well as specimen stuffed away in museum drawers that are hardly ever opened, such as this amazing jaw I just bumped into from Sussex, but housed in the Booth Museum of Natural History in Brighton (source)! There's no provenance information to go with this that I could find, and the species has been identified as Mosasaurus gracilis, which is no longer acknowledged as a valid species within the genus. So it's a rather enigmatic specimen at this point. However, to judge from its teeth, Mosasaurus conodon may be a good candidate...

2046429605_MosasaurusgracilisBoothMuseum01.jpg.96533d6ef2e53c8e233058bc02497173.jpg1499837918_MosasaurusgracilisBoothMuseum02.jpg.e844f4794ad8b1c6ca34b40bee18ee9e.jpg

Edited by pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon
  • Enjoyed 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

5 minutes ago, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

housed in the Booth Museum in Brighton, which doesn't have any natural history component to its collections at all.

Sorry this maybe my dyslexia that I can’t read between the lines of a sentence but are you saying the Booth Museums of Nature History has no natural history ? Does it not have an amazing collection of birds anymore? 

Just now, Bobby Rico said:

Sorry this maybe my dyslexia that I can’t read between the lines of a sentence but are you saying the Booth Museums of Nature History has no natural history ? Does it not have an amazing collection of birds anymore? 

No, you are correct in spotting my mistake ;)

When I searched the web to find out about the Booth Museum, I first ended up at the Booth Western Art Museum, which is a different entity entirely. Once I'd spotted my mistake, I updated the original post. But I guess I wasn't quite enough in making my corrections, and you had already opened the post :o

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

18 minutes ago, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

such as this amazing jaw I just bumped into from Sussex, but housed in the Booth Museum of Natural History in Brighton (source)!

Have you been to the Booth Museum?

1 hour ago, Bobby Rico said:

Have you been to the Booth Museum?

No, I haven't been to Brighton since I was a teen, decades ago... I didn't know about the museum at the time.

Edited by pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon
  • Enjoyed 1

9 minutes ago, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

No, I haven't been to Brighton since I was a teen, decades ago... I didn't know about the museum at the time.

It is a pretty cool museum, it has  a Victorian curiosity cabinet feeling to it. 

F0BE832E-A614-4772-BC6D-4C6400E30B6B.jpeg

336F8B40-7343-4C6F-96EF-4C5A5268E2A4.jpeg

FB7A1533-0E7A-4A45-A4D7-3E8F20C94935.jpeg

Edited by Bobby Rico
  • Enjoyed 1

2 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

It is a pretty cool museum, it has  a Victorian curiosity cabinet feeling to it. 

F0BE832E-A614-4772-BC6D-4C6400E30B6B.jpeg336F8B40-7343-4C6F-96EF-4C5A5268E2A4.jpegFB7A1533-0E7A-4A45-A4D7-3E8F20C94935.jpeg

Indeed! I'd say "pretty cool" is the right word for it! Wow! :D That's pretty amazing! I've seen a couple of these old fashioned displays in museums (like the Strasbourg Zoological Museum, the Karlsruhe Natural History Museum, Bern Natural History Museum and Teylers Museum in Haarlem), but the presentation here is really unique...!

• I Agree 1

8 hours ago, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

Teylers Museum in Haarlem)

Now we talking , some cracking Mosasaurs bits in this collection, 

I have not been to the Booth Museum in 15 or more years. Mosasaurs jaw was on show there, I vaguely remember that. The Booth Museum is a approachable Museum, so maybe you could help them correct the jaws ID .  

cheers Bobby 

• I found this Informative 1