Florida Broken Whale Tooth Core?

Bronzviking

Hi All,

I found this fossil at Honeymoon Island, Florida and it appears to be a broken worn tooth? Looks like the enamel peeled off. I'm curious to hear what others think.  Approximately 1 5/8 L x 3/4 W inch. Thanks Lynn

WTtop.jpg

WT1.jpg

WT2.jpg

WT3.jpg

WT4.jpg

The good news is that this reminds me of marine mammal bone.... Here is a section of Dolphin jaw....

04Apr2021_Delphinodon_dividumText.thumb.jpg.48ee0a98f07de88dc02d4302d25c0384.jpg

However, it is not like any Florida whale tooth, I have seen, and I have seen many of them. This is not tooth, it may be whale bone with some matrix on it.

IMG_0885.thumb.jpg.b54c37db410f0120847697803c607c5e.jpgSplitWhaleMrg.thumb.jpg.0219d814baaee7f90ebb485c3165eb4e.jpgWhaleMRG2txt.jpg.4afee0eac9e01f133cebf005d3896f0c.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Thanks Jack. I thought since it was tapered it might be a tooth with a broken tip. Honeymoon just re-nourished the beach with sand so I'm not sure if this was washed up from the Gulf or not? Just a mystery bone with not enough to identify it I guess.

I just read that they dredged sand from Hurricane Pass and the Pet Beach for the sand replacement project.

Edited by Bronzviking

Re_nourishment projects are a good thing for fossil and sea shell hunters like us. :thumbsu:

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

On 9/29/2021 at 8:15 PM, Shellseeker said:

Re_nourishment projects are a good thing for fossil and sea shell hunters like us. :thumbsu:

Yes they are except they took my rocks away. :shakehead: