Too weird, don't know where to post

kerrimarie805

I like lumpy, warty rocks so saw only one side of this before getting it home to see the other side, which I generally expect to be nothing too surprising. This piece, however, is so very different on it's flip side that even though I can see the cross section of it I really can't decide if I've got a crazy rock, track fossil, or an artifact (unlikely at best). I took as many pics as I could as they aren't as good as I'd like.

As usual, I was hounding along the river as it rambles through the Nebraska panhandle. 

Please, post this where it belongs and, as always, I hold what you all say to be true and infallible so I can never be disappointed by what you opine in response to my inquiries! 

I haven't Beeker'd around with it, torching or smashing, as it's so small--but say the word and I'll happily give it the run of tests.

*My sister asked me if I've ever used the word "opine" in conversation, I had not. Screenshot. Done. Lol.20211003_130319.thumb.jpg.14a2cefea0bf34497ef8fccb255a9ac1.jpg20211003_124957.thumb.jpg.fef51e92d020e1029f54c9b87d8a51ce.jpg20211003_130135.thumb.jpg.8eeb5d28cd200f58288951133bff72fd.jpg20211003_125347.thumb.jpg.7dcfc50ff38517a64d1907164eb17bd5.jpg20211003_125106.thumb.jpg.f436fbdd8bf8948eca533f6bcb8d293f.jpg20211003_130426.thumb.jpg.fe9b5ecca98aca30a27005f2b62fe18d.jpg

I don't know what it is, but I don't see nummulites in this stone.
It looked like fossil wood to me, because I saw growth circles, but I don't see vegetal texture, maybe it's geological. :zzzzscratchchin:

In the last photo it looks like flint to me.

Wait for answers from the most experts.

Looks geological in origin to me, minerals often form rings, look up beekite :) 

I'm fairly certain it's not hard enough to be chert or flint, it's definitely not certainchert anyway. 

So, I thought I was picking up just another version of this stuff, lumpy rocks...20211003_155246.thumb.jpg.09f5014fceccc09c37c97b6c9ad65f77.jpg

But came across some similar ish pieces more like the flip side maybe...

20211003_154455.thumb.jpg.a445897f85e84f5688609a8eee43c539.jpg

However, after doing an image search of nummulites I am going with "Nummulites? Duh!" No one said "duh," but duh on me, 98% sure.

2 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Banded chert perhaps?

Or layered concretion. Can you give us an idea how hard it is ? Another question might be; does the white substance react (bubble) when vinegar is dropped on it ?

1 minute ago, Rockwood said:

Or layered concretion. Can you give us an idea how hard it is ? Another question might be; does the white substance react (bubble) when vinegar is dropped on it ?

53 minutes ago, kerrimarie805 said:

I'm fairly certain it's not hard enough to be chert or flint, it's definitely not certainchert anyway. 

Oops. Layered concretion it is.

I'm still in for nummulites. I wish my phone would take better pics of smaller pieces!

I have apple cider vinegar or CLR so I'm going to try both and do some scratching as well. I can say that the inside seems harder than the outside.

There was no reaction whatsoever to either the apple cider vinegar (LEFT) or the CLR (RIGHT).

20211003_173257.thumb.jpg.45a58fd62ded5b0fde0a4d60628a98d1.jpg

I vote concretion too. Notice how the rings are all different distances apart. That to me signifies concretion.

Edited by Top Trilo

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

I was able to scratch the darker rings on the outside surface but my metal point left no scratch on the inside material.

As well, no part of the piece reacted to the acids.

14 minutes ago, Top Trilo said:

I vote concretion too. Notice how the rings are all different distances apart. That to me signifies concretion.

Ok, the varying distance between rings has me leaving the nummulite camp. You got me. 

I will still look up beekite and won't bother to post the possibly slightly better pics I took with my actual camera that isn't any better than my phone by specs but it does macro. 

Hands down the only concretion I've spent this much, or any, time trying to identify! 

Thanks for your help, all, as always!

There are a number of reasons a concretion might be hard and not react to vinegar, or it may be banded chert as suggested. Often the lines get blurred a bit.

46 minutes ago, kerrimarie805 said:

While we're here, tho...layered concretion?

Hard to tell. It could be just the result of the way it fragmented and weathered.

• Thank You 1