Mazon Creek Nodule Unknown

minnbuckeye

A Mazon Creek nodule popped open a few days ago. At first I thought it was nothing. But in the right light, I have hope (hopefully not false hope) that this may indeed be a find. If this were my Ordovician matrix, I could envision a trilobite.  Maybe it mimics a horseshoe crab!!!! During my hunt, I did get to see a horseshoe crab found by @flipper559 I will cross my fingers waiting for the experts to respond. 

DSC_0017-001.JPG.52248f9c448e77958e4e8838bd7ecb01.JPGDSC_0019-001.JPG.baa90a8d23c4eaf18d3159aa3ccfd723.JPG

Edited by minnbuckeye
  • Enjoyed 9
  • I Agree 1

Look at Euproops danae, not a mazon expert so not sure if that is really the species but check out this thread, that talks about trilobites and trilobite look-a-likes in Mazon Creek. That's an a-Mazon find Mike!

• I found this Informative 7
  • I Agree 1

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

Thanks for all of the conformations and admirations. It is nice to be right on an ID once and awhile! For those of you that deal with mazon nodules, can this crab be prepped any further to bring out its image better. Or just accept it as is?

• Enjoyed 1

6 minutes ago, minnbuckeye said:

Thanks for all of the conformations and admirations. It is nice to be right on an ID once and awhile! For those of you that deal with mazon nodules, can this crab be prepped any further to bring out its image better. Or just accept it as is?

I don't think there is any more to expose.

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

You must be so happy !

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

16 minutes ago, fifbrindacier said:

You must be so happy !

@fifbrindacier I definitely am!!! But like so many of these nodules, it is not instant gratification (something I love) like screening for fossils in the Florida rivers. First you find it (looks like a rock), then it must go through the freeze thaw cycles. This is a pain trying to keep water from spilling in the freezer so I don't get yelled at. Once it opens, you gaze at the "blob" exposed inside. The nodule is set aside thinking it is nothing. Weeks go by. And the light catches the nodule just right, you realize there is something present that looks like the nodules containing horseshoe crabs. Now to the ID section of the Fossil Forum. Finally excitement. But as I said, I do love this find!!!

• Enjoyed 1

In average, how many times do you put the nodules through the freeze thaw cycles ?

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

@fifbrindacier First time doing it. Truth be known, I did it about 8 times and quit. I am waiting for winter now. I think it will be easier to just set it outside every other day. Currently, they are immersed in water which means hopefully the more water they soak up, the more expansion on freezing thus splitting the nodules easier. 

• I Agree 1

I have some nodules that are nice shapes that I'm still freeze-thawing and I'm over 70 cycles! If they aren't nice shapes I stop sooner, but still like to get to at least 40 if they are halfway decent shapes.

• I found this Informative 1