This stuff is awesome. I don't know what it is though

Robzilla

Hello All, 

I was turning earth for a garden with a small tiller at my sisters house in Sophia, NC in 2012, near the Caraway mountains. I found three items turned out from the ground. I saved them until now and recently used Google Lens to help identify what they may be. 

The larger of the 3 objects I cannot figure out. I hope someone can help. It is dense and has an odd texture. Thanks in advance and good luck.

20211007_213733.jpg

20211007_213821.jpg

20211007_213913.jpg

20211007_214405.jpg

20211007_213323.jpg

20211007_213500.jpg

The third item is a Native American arrowhead. Nice find!

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt

-Mark Twain

Yes it is nice arrowhead, second one a scraper?  Other than sedimentary stone no clue on big one.  People in other countries don't know penny size, on the fossil discussion page Coco has graciously provided paper you can print out for scale if you don't have ruler.

• Thank You 1

The large object might be a piece of construction material.  Is there a saw mark on any edge?

5 hours ago, Robzilla said:

20211007_213733.jpg

20211007_213821.jpg

In my opinion, the chert point is modern.  The steep flaking along the edges is very typical of souvenir 'arrowheads'.  Although exceptions are not beyond possibility, this point does not match any types known to the area.  The edges look like something made with needle nose pliers.  Native points would have thinner, sharper edges achieved by longer flakes that traverse the surface.

• I found this Informative 3
  • I Agree 2

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

47 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

The large object might be a piece of construction material.  Is there a saw mark on any edge?

I don't see it.

It looks like an interference pattern in sedimentation to me. As happens when currents alternate at right angles to each other. Crossing currents.

• Kane changed the title to This stuff is awesome. I don't know what it is though

Hi,

In addition to the origin and age of the terrain in which the fossils are found, size is also important for proper identification. I invite you to read my last link in my signature. If you don’t have a rule, print the document I made available and put your fossils on it before making your photos, making sure to leave a box with the apparent size (pedagogical message ) ;) as Lon Hunter told you.

Coco

• I found this Informative 1

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg