found a bone in my mince

geraldbostock

I found this bone in my mince ('beef') and I couldn't begin trying to ID it.

My best guess was a rat's rib but rat ribs don't look quite like this.

It's obviously not from a cow, those are enormous. Unless it's an inner ear bone or something?

I realize that this is a fossil hunter's forum but it's the nearest thing to my need that I managed to find.

20210930_002109.jpg

This was in meat you were going to eat? Not sure about mince if it was meant for consumption? Have no idea, looks fishyish to me. 

Can't help with ID at all, but I've cropped and enlarged your pic a bit.

20210930_002109.jpg.073293425f19461bc861c36332a2a9d5.jpg

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

The first question to come to mind is what could possibly become imbedded into the muscle tissue of a cow?  A small, isolated bone doesn't make the list.  Occasionally, one will find a shotgun pellet or a fence staple.  Are you sure this is a bone?  Could it be a man made object like a piece of plastic?  Your photo  of the object is overexposed and slightly out of focus so it is hard to discern any surface texture or other details. 

15 hours ago, M Harvey said:

The first question to come to mind is what could possibly become imbedded into the muscle tissue of a cow?  A small, isolated bone doesn't make the list.  Occasionally, one will find a shotgun pellet or a fence staple.  Are you sure this is a bone?  Could it be a man made object like a piece of plastic?  Your photo  of the object is overexposed and slightly out of focus so it is hard to discern any surface texture or other details.

i know, my camera doesn't take very faithful pictures. it certainly feels like bone. if no one around here can recognize it as a part of any animal then that's a lot more  reassuring than a positive identification. i'd guessed maybe a rat got into the mincer

18 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

Can't help with ID at all, but I've cropped and enlarged your pic a bit.

20210930_002109.jpg.073293425f19461bc861c36332a2a9d5.jpg

nice one

On 10/18/2021 at 3:15 AM, Lone Hunter said:

This was in meat you were going to eat? Not sure about mince if it was meant for consumption? Have no idea, looks fishyish to me. 

have eaten, yes. seems a bit thick for a fish bone

It does not look like rat to me, a piece of a plastic tie seems more likely.  A cut mammal bone should show an internal  hollowness  I can imagine a fish bone with a curve and a spiny piece but not rat  however a plastic tie that went through a grinder could get that shape.  If you burn fresh bone it will smell like burning hair,  plastic will melt or burn 

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1