Fossil from Breckweg limestone quarry in Rheine, Germany

Bianca

Hello all, 

Last Saturday our geology club went on a field trip to the Breckweg limestone quarry in Rheine, Germany. Although my main interest lies with minerals, I found a nice fossil. I have been trying to identify it, but unfortunately without any succes. I hope you can help me out. According to the information I received, the limestone found at the quarry is from the Cenomanian. Thanks in advance!

IMG_3174.jpeg

IMG_3175.jpeg

IMG_3176.jpeg

I see. Gastropods would likely show a cleaner growth pattern. 

Oysters are the 'tack it on' type. Designed (selective pressure) to inhabit soft sediments I believe ?

Hello, Bianca, and a very warm welcome to TFF from Morocco.:)

I also think it looks like a group of oysters from the family Gyphaeidae. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Thanks a lot for your help and warm welcome :) 

I took a look at the Gryphaea oysters and the shape seems to match, even though the shells on the specimen are not entirely visible. Would further determination (to a certain species) also possible or is that a bridge too far? Most pictures I found of Gryphaea seem to be less smooth (i.e. have a more distinctive growing pattern) than mine and do not seem to have the striped pattern that mine have. 

1 hour ago, Bianca said:

Thanks a lot for your help and warm welcome :) 

I took a look at the Gryphaea oysters and the shape seems to match, even though the shells on the specimen are not entirely visible. Would further determination (to a certain species) also possible or is that a bridge too far? Most pictures I found of Gryphaea seem to be less smooth (i.e. have a more distinctive growing pattern) than mine and do not seem to have the striped pattern that mine have. 

I'm afraid from these examples you would need a ferry boat to a species determination. Better examples, or exposures would be needed.

The smoothness of the surface could be the result of erosion, and the coloration is not a problem to the ID. It could be original or diagenetic.