Ordovician donut from Maysville

connorp

I found this strange specimen in the Upper Ordovician Fairview Formation outside of Maysville, KY. The thing attached to the donut looks like it could be a crinoid holdfast, but if so I can't recall having seen a similar one from the Cincinnatian. But what might the donut be? A large trace fossil? A strange sedimentary structure? I really have no idea, I've never seen anything similar before.

IMG_1986.thumb.jpg.58f4317f4b30addd600c84892d870e31.jpg

IMG_1988.thumb.jpg.af18acd668d1c999680255493601526b.jpg

IMG_1987.thumb.JPG.aa2f798db78ba49c744fbeddafe80fe3.JPG

Stromatoporoid ?

• I found this Informative 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Worn cephalopod ?

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

17 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Prasopora bryozoan perhaps?

Size seems to eliminate Prasapora. My largest to date MAY be about 4".

Mike

• I Agree 2

2 hours ago, minnbuckeye said:

Size seems to eliminate Prasapora. My largest to date MAY be about 4".

Mike

Oops! I thought the scale was in centimeters.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Just a possiblitiy:

Large trepostome bryozoans are common in the formation. Here is one from the University of Wooster. Though I do not see definitive direct evidence of bryozoan in Connor's specimen, maybe due to erosional processes, the upper right (darker area) looks very similar to the borings of Trypanites that occur in the area's bryozoans, as seen in the sample from Wooster.     

http://woostergeologists.scotblogs.wooster.edu/files/2017/03/1-Trepostome-585-Bellevue.jpg

Edited by minnbuckeye

1 hour ago, minnbuckeye said:

Just a possiblitiy:

Large trepostome bryozoans are common in the formation. Here is one from the University of Wooster. Though I do not see definitive direct evidence of bryozoan in Connor's specimen, maybe due to erosional processes, the upper right (darker area) looks very similar to the borings of Trypanites that occur in the area's bryozoans, as seen in the sample from Wooster.     

http://woostergeologists.scotblogs.wooster.edu/files/2017/03/1-Trepostome-585-Bellevue.jpg

Are you referring to this one? :)

1-Trepostome-585-Bellevue.jpg.e53b28ee79bc6fe6e9d6390d4e40372c.jpg

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

I discussed this specimen with a couple local collectors, and the consensus seems to be that it's probably a sponge of some sort. Perhaps a stromatoporoid as was suggested here. Unfortunately the specimen shows signs of weathering and thus there is no surface detail on the doughnut, making positive identification challenging. I found an anecdotal account in a book A Sea without Fish: Life in the Ordovician Sea of the Cincinnati Region (Life of the Past) describing a similar specimen, unfortunately there are no accompanying pictures and it is unclear if the specimen discussed is accessioned in a museum somewhere.

Regardless, it is quite an interesting specimen. A local museum reached out and indicated they would be interested in this specimen, and I will be bringing it down to donate next time I head down to Cinci.

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 1