Megalodon or Chubutensis?

DardS8Br

I bought this Megalodon tooth a while ago, but the shape of it has me wondering if it’s actually a chubutensis tooth

Here are two images of the tooth. It’s 4.88 inches from root to tip.

It was collected off the Atlantic coast of North Carolina.

80FD70D3-EC8C-4711-A46C-3EEB57C4AB05.jpeg

0703CA06-A8DB-4261-BAC3-5CB94C761E03.jpeg

I could be very wrong but im not seeing any signs of the little “cusps” i think they are called that chubs have and megs don’t. I suspect its a meg becuase looking at where they should be theres no sign of where they were broken off or worn down….. im sure the experts will chime in soon

• I Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Randyw said:

:heartylaugh:Dang! Praefectus beat me by seconds!

It actually looks like your post came in first. :BigSmile:

4 hours ago, Randyw said:

I could be very wrong but im not seeing any signs of the little “cusps” i think they are called that chubs have and megs don’t. I suspect its a meg becuase looking at where they should be theres no sign of where they were broken off or worn down….. im sure the experts will chime in soon

I agree with this.

*Frank*

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Megalodon or Chubutensis?
6 hours ago, Praefectus said:

I'm not entirely certain of the age of the NC ledge teeth, but yours looks to be a megalodon. 

I recently came across this very helpful paper on the topic -- in the offshore Onslow Bay area at least, both the Pungo River (Miocene) and Yorktown (Pliocene) formations are exposed, so chubutensis and megalodon teeth can both be found. Pungo River chubutensis and reworked Yorktown megalodon teeth are exposed at the inner, shallower continental shelf, and Yorktown megalodon teeth can be found at intermediate and deeper shelf areas.

• I found this Informative 1

I'd call it megalodon as well.

8 hours ago, Randyw said:

:heartylaugh:Dang! Praefectus beat me by seconds!

8 hours ago, Praefectus said:

It actually looks like your post came in first. :BigSmile:

Time stamps show they were at the same time, down to the second.

• Enjoyed 1

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

9 hours ago, Top Trilo said:

Time stamps show they were at the same time, down to the second.

LOL! Im happy with a tie!