12/11 Tankerton/Whitstable UK - London Clay finds

Alex E

Hello all

Two pieces from a quick walkabout on the Tankerton, Whitstable foreshore today, London Clay formation, both found loose on foreshore around exposed clay formations.

The first I was hoping might be a turtle shell fragment as there is apparent porosity and the shape of the fragment is somewhat indicative. At first I thought the lace pattern on top was also fossil material but then realized it's a non-fossil marine deposit.

f5.jpg  f4.jpg  f3.jpg  f2.jpg  f1.jpg 

The second is very strange and to be honest I'm in strong doubt that it's a fossil remain as I've not seen anything like it - at first I thought some sort of extant animal tooth or bone but the structure doesn't really yell decaying organic matter to me either. I then thought porcelain but the layered structure and shape seems to not support that either. It looks like tooth, but also not like tooth at the same time. To be honest fossil or not I've no snarge idea what it is and would welcome any suggestions.

f17.jpg  f16.jpg  f15.jpg  f14.jpg  f13.jpg  f12.jpg  f11.jpg 

Thanks for your time as always!

Edited by Alex E
  • Enjoyed 1

• Alex E changed the title to 12/11 Tankerton/Whitstable UK - London Clay finds

Blimey, I thought about bovine teeth but I didn't really imagine they'd be that large somehow. I also mistakenly thought the pointy bits were the tooth when they're actually the roots.

Appreciate the response!

Edited by Alex E