Unknown Cretaceous limb bone from eastern North Carolina

fossil_lover_2277

I just recently found this bone in the Cretaceous Black Creek group deposits of eastern North Carolina. I think it is either crocodile or turtle. I am almost positive it isn’t mosasaur, dinosaur, or plesiosaur (some other tetrapods found in the Black Creek group). Also, is it a radius, ulna, tibia, fibula, femur, etc.? Or is it even a limb bone? I have no idea. Thanks!

C0AC7C05-07B8-46E4-8981-8DEC021C57A1.jpeg

9D6E2488-935C-4FC7-8064-F7CC0BFFB5D5.jpeg

A2E3BD40-3AF0-4DA6-BDA7-7D40B2488700.jpeg

6E6417DB-B0E6-466D-95AA-8A85B010B476.jpeg

10B4F5CB-A169-4E71-9466-4EFD4187060E.jpeg

9350FC1B-B9A8-4FCF-92D0-996A407D817A.jpeg

Edited by fossil_lover_2277
  • Enjoyed 1

I have no idea what you have.  I doubt it is turtle because of the deep central grove.  It is very solid looking , what does the broken end look like.  Also if you look into the pinned topics coco has a printable  cm paper.  You should print some, please.

• Thank You 2

It reminds me of a mosasaur ilium.

• I found this Informative 2
  • Thank You 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

12 hours ago, val horn said:

I have no idea what you have.  I doubt it is turtle because of the deep central grove.  It is very solid looking , what does the broken end look like.  Also if you look into the pinned topics coco has a printable  cm paper.  You should print some, please.

It’s definitely fossil bone, but it’s heavily mineralized, you can see the cancellous bone inside both ends. Here’s several pics I took of the broken end:

9B9D7712-6BFF-47E4-868A-6D13F98AA1FE.jpeg

D07DB4F4-C264-47E9-8C9B-F38EEB354C62.jpeg

2488AEB7-FF32-4E32-B8F5-9C15FE7F3591.jpeg

DE89B70B-98D9-4EE4-ACED-662E431D27B1.jpeg

BC7A137D-85AF-4EC8-98E4-F848D923211A.jpeg

Edited by fossil_lover_2277
  • I found this Informative 1

I agree thst it looks like bone,  i wanted to see if it looked hollow like s bird bone or if it looked crushed.  Unfortunately the pictures dont really help me but maybe someone more knowledgeable will see something. 

• Thank You 1

11 hours ago, JohnJ said:

I looked at some images of mosasaur ilium online, it looks spot on. That would explain why it’s so flattened and it narrows towards the end

Here are some examples specifically of a tylosaur, which would be reasonable for the stratum it’s from:

E072E270-8ABB-434B-B8C3-0A1D10B78241.jpeg

514DADAF-0F6C-4EAF-B19A-AF685BAA156B.png

D3670086-E307-455C-AA77-DCBDE6127969.jpeg

271DE10C-6E47-4196-BDF0-629D6326D39D.jpeg

5C6CA909-6B23-4D4A-B688-BF0225ABDAF1.jpeg

• Enjoyed 1

20 hours ago, val horn said:

Have a look on my signature :)

Coco

• Thank You 1

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

On 11/19/2021 at 7:55 PM, fossil_lover_2277 said:

I think it is either crocodile or turtle.

Unfortunately, my knowledge of turtles is really minimal, so can't really make an argument for or against that. What I can say, however, is that, in my opinion at least, this doesn't look like a limb bone of either, since 1) those are generally much curvier and less flat; and 2) they wouldn't have a groove starting past the articulation surface like your specimen does: if a depression is present, this normally connects to the articulation surface. Ruling out skull bones and vertebrae, this, for turtles, I believe, mainly leaves peural bones as a potential match. However, this also doesn't seem to make too much sense, as those kind of bones look kind of like a rib with a backing plate, much as these examples from @Al Dente's collection below (see this thread for more information on turtle pleurals):

B81BDD93-26B9-482A-9CF7-3BA259AEE969.jpeg.a90323747d4461a64e9704a2d79dd095.jpeg

On 11/20/2021 at 12:46 PM, val horn said:

It is very solid looking , what does the broken end look like.

13 hours ago, fossil_lover_2277 said:

It’s definitely fossil bone, but it’s heavily mineralized, you can see the cancellous bone inside both ends.

7 hours ago, val horn said:

I agree thst it looks like bone,  i wanted to see if it looked hollow like s bird bone or if it looked crushed.

I think there's a good reason to have taken a look at the internal structure of the bone, as this allows us to confirm the dense nature of the bone, thereby that it almost assuredly belonged to a marine creature, by extension, considering the geological context, a marine reptile.

As to what the bone could be or belong to I find very difficult. Of course there is a certain semblance to rib, and ribs may have a central depression running their length (as is the case in ichthyosaurs, plesiosaurs and mosasaurs, to name a few), but such a depression, when present, is often found on both sides of the rib. Moreover, this particular specimen lacks the curvature you'd normally associate with rib and, additionally, tapers very rapidly and out of sync with the depression. I therefore doubt this being a rib fragment either.

19 hours ago, JohnJ said:

I can get behind this hypothesis, though, knowing @JohnJ's experience with mosasaurs. Unfortunately, mosasaur material is quite rare here in Europe, even in museums, and I have therefore had little opportunity to familiarise myself with these mosasaur skeletal parts: they were almost always missing in the museum specimens I've seen, and I have yet to be able to acquire some mosasaur pelvic bones for my collection... However, I did find these photographs from the Naturmuseum Senckenberg in Frankfurt which seem to perfectly illustrate the bone you've found. And from all suggestions we've heard and gone through, I think it is the best one by far.

1565261266_TylosaurusprorigerpelvisTweedGoreKansas.thumb.jpg.1431bc1df86565a2a034c7555ec8a4e6.jpg1524413628_TylosaurusprorigerTweedGoreKansas.thumb.jpg.4b79f0c37b9b2fe81d175b1f91764c27.jpg

Tylosaurus proriger from Tweed Gore in Kansas

However, just for completeness, let me tag @Carl and @caterpillar. May be they've still got something to add...

Edited by pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon
  • Enjoyed 2
  • Thank You 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

7 hours ago, fossil_lover_2277 said:

Thank you so much for your time @pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon in figuring this one out, I really appreciate the help!!! So cool to know it’s the hip bone of a mosasaur :yay-smiley-1:

Thanks for the praise! :D

It was @JohnJ's suggestion that got me on to it, though ;)

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

On 11/21/2021 at 8:32 AM, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

Unfortunately, my knowledge of turtles is really minimal, so can't really make an argument for or against that. What I can say, however, is that, in my opinion at least, this doesn't look like a limb bone of either, since 1) those are generally much curvier and less flat; and 2) they wouldn't have a groove starting past the articulation surface like your specimen does: if a depression is present, this normally connects to the articulation surface. Ruling out skull bones and vertebrae, this, for turtles, I believe, mainly leaves peural bones as a potential match. However, this also doesn't seem to make too much sense, as those kind of bones look kind of like a rib with a backing plate, much as these examples from @Al Dente's collection below (see this thread for more information on turtle pleurals):

B81BDD93-26B9-482A-9CF7-3BA259AEE969.jpeg.a90323747d4461a64e9704a2d79dd095.jpeg

I think there's a good reason to have taken a look at the internal structure of the bone, as this allows us to confirm the dense nature of the bone, thereby that it almost assuredly belonged to a marine creature, by extension, considering the geological context, a marine reptile.

As to what the bone could be or belong to I find very difficult. Of course there is a certain semblance to rib, and ribs may have a central depression running their length (as is the case in ichthyosaurs, plesiosaurs and mosasaurs, to name a few), but such a depression, when present, is often found on both sides of the rib. Moreover, this particular specimen lacks the curvature you'd normally associate with rib and, additionally, tapers very rapidly and out of sync with the depression. I therefore doubt this being a rib fragment either.

I can get behind this hypothesis, though, knowing @JohnJ's experience with mosasaurs. Unfortunately, mosasaur material is quite rare here in Europe, even in museums, and I have therefore had little opportunity to familiarise myself with these mosasaur skeletal parts: they were almost always missing in the museum specimens I've seen, and I have yet to be able to acquire some mosasaur pelvic bones for my collection... However, I did find these photographs from the Naturmuseum Senckenberg in Frankfurt which seem to perfectly illustrate the bone you've found. And from all suggestions we've heard and gone through, I think it is the best one by far.

1565261266_TylosaurusprorigerpelvisTweedGoreKansas.thumb.jpg.1431bc1df86565a2a034c7555ec8a4e6.jpg1524413628_TylosaurusprorigerTweedGoreKansas.thumb.jpg.4b79f0c37b9b2fe81d175b1f91764c27.jpg

Tylosaurus proriger from Tweed Gore in Kansas

However, just for completeness, let me tag @Carl and @caterpillar. May be they've still got something to add...

I can't really add much here, but I agree that of what has been proposed, the mosasaur ilium looks like the strongest bet.