unknown tooth

majstor

Enlarged, cropped and brightened:

Tooth11_zub3.jpg

Tooth22_zub3.jpg

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Hi, and welcome to the forum! We've got quite a few knowledgable members on here, so I'm sure someone will be able to help you identify the tooth ;)

However, in order to more easily do this, could you please provide locality and geological context - age, marine or terrestrial sediments, other things found nearby - or as much of that as you know, as well? It seems like quite a sizeable tooth, though, definitely a fossil, and going by the colour likely something like Miocene or Pleistocene in age. This would make it a mammal tooth, although it doesn't look cetacean to me (am I right in assuming so, @Shellseeker?). May be @jpc or @Harry Pristis would be able to help out?

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

7 hours ago, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

Hi, and welcome to the forum! We've got quite a few knowledgable members on here, so I'm sure someone will be able to help you identify the tooth ;)

However, in order to more easily do this, could you please provide locality and geological context - age, marine or terrestrial sediments, other things found nearby - or as much of that as you know, as well? It seems like quite a sizeable tooth, though, definitely a fossil, and going by the colour likely something like Miocene or Pleistocene in age. This would make it a mammal tooth, although it doesn't look cetacean to me (am I right in assuming so, @Shellseeker?). May be @jpc or @Harry Pristis would be able to help out?

Hi!

Thank you for welcoming me...

Unfortunately, this is all I can provide at the moment

But, area where the tooth has been found is known for huge cretaceous deposits with oligocene beds scattered on top of it.

If I get more information, I will post it for sure...

• I found this Informative 1

Thanks for the info! My first hunch of what this tooth could feed was mammal, so that's make it Oligocene, I guess... Are there any collections with fossils from this area in your neighbourhood. If so, it may be worth paying them a visit, if only to compare modes of preservation and maybe pinning down the age with more certainty...

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

Big tooth, it does not seem like whale. In my experience (mostly based on southeast US) there are a number of indicators that imply whale. One is the horizontal growth rings that appear in the root.  Another is a certain amount of rugosity in the enamel. a 3rd is the overall shape of a large whale tooth, more bulbous root than tip..

I would think canine, thus predator. Sorry I can not provide more.

• I found this Informative 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

44 minutes ago, Shellseeker said:

Big tooth, it does not seem like whale. In my experience (mostly based on southeast US) there are a number of indicators that imply whale. One is the horizontal growth rings that appear in the root.  Another is a certain amount of rugosity in the enamel. a 3rd is the overall shape of a large whale tooth, more bulbous root than tip..

I would think canine, thus predator. Sorry I can not provide more.

Thanks a lot!

If this comes from a place with Cret and Olig deposits, it is Oligocene.  And I agree...mammal.  I think this might be an incisor from a rhino-like beast.  There were quite a few back then so I cannot get any more detailed.  And I am not very familiar with the Oligocene of serbia.  But, nice find. 

Edited by jpc
  • Thank You 1

On 11/30/2021 at 6:55 PM, jpc said:

If this comes from a lace with Cret and Olig deposits, it is Oligocene.  And I agree...mammal.  I think this might be an incisor from a rhino-like beast.  There were quite a few back then so I cannot get any more detailed.  And I am not very familiar with the Oligocene of serbia.  But, nice find. 

Thanks!

Topics merged.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

On 11/30/2021 at 12:55 PM, jpc said:

If this comes from a place with Cret and Olig deposits, it is Oligocene.  And I agree...mammal.  I think this might be an incisor from a rhino-like beast.  There were quite a few back then so I cannot get any more detailed.  And I am not very familiar with the Oligocene of serbia.  But, nice find. 

8 cm = 3.5 inches.  If I found something like this in my South Florida hunting area, I would be thinking Rhino_like based on size and width of the enamel. The additional photos are outstanding detail.

• Enjoyed 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"