Knee deep in the Permian

Adelotus

The lower Hunter Valley is underlain predominantly by Permian strata, and encompasses the region around Newcastle, NSW, Australia. It is here that a diverse fossil macrofauna can be found at a disused quarry standing on private property.  Mulbring quarry is characterised by excellent exposure of the Permian strata with macrofauna dominated by abundant bryozoans and brachiopods, associated with bivalves, gastropods, and echinoderms.

With the weather typically windy this time of year it was no surprise when we hit the black top with a strong westerly wind blowing, fortunately the sun was shinning.  The plan was for my family to meet up with my retired geology teacher friend and his wife at the gate to the property.  Two weeks earlier I received access permission from the property owner and we met my friends at the gate and headed up the track. Stepping out of the car upon arrival at the quarry our excitement peaked quickly with fossils bearing rock lying all around us.  

It didn't take long for my friend Col to find a lovely Bryozoan, my find with a specimen of fossil debris, including fragmented gastropods, isolated echinoderm ossicles and small brachiopods (pictured Mulbring 001) followed quickly after. We spent the next couple of hours fossicking around, then stopped for a well prepared picnic in the Australian bush. A few more hours of fossicking revealed the beautiful Bryozoan also pictured (Mulbring 002). 

These fossil beds also contain a particularly high abundance of fenestellid bryozoans and brachiopods (spiriferides and productoids), with bivalve molluscs the next most abundant. Minor groups include gastropods, rostroconchs, corals, trilobites and several types of echinoderms. Sadly, the trilobites and intact echinoderms evaded our gaze.

I've already began my visit to one of the State's Jurassic sites early next year!

Cheers

Adelotus

Mulbring Quarry 001.jpg

470014635_MulbringQuarry002.jpg

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 9

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi there, 

I’m a geology student based in Newcastle and I’d love to get out to mulbring quarry, how did you get the owners details? 
thanks!

rose

2 hours ago, Rosesrocks said:

Hi there, 

I’m a geology student based in Newcastle and I’d love to get out to mulbring quarry, how did you get the owners details? 
thanks!

rose

You might consider messaging Paleoworld101.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me