Is this a genuine spinosaurus tooth?

sharkysaurus

I bought this tooth last year from a trusted local fossil shop, it was sold to me as an authentic spinosaurus tooth. Is this truly a spinosaurus tooth or is it from a croc (or something else)? Hoping I didnt get scammed.. Also, for future reference, how would I tell the difference between a spino tooth and a croc tooth? 

IMG_0431.jpg

IMG_0427.jpg

Screenshot_20211204-232753_Reddit.jpg

IMG_0429.jpg

Agree. 

Differentiating between the two can be hard on some teeth especially with anterior Croc teeth.  Both can have ridges, fine serrations and have a round base.    Spinosaurid teeth are typically straight with little or no curvature, pointed with a conical tip while Croc teeth can have a curvature on them especially on the roots.   My suggestion is to post your interest here and we've got lots of experienced eyes to help diagnose these differences.

• I Agree 1

I'll take a crack at guessing the condition of the tooth lol. Id say a portion of the reattached tip is real as the colour blends well with the rest of the body, while the reddish bit looks a bit like restoration (seen better in 2nd pic)? 1st pic is a bit dark though to tell 100% for me. Lovely condition of the body though

Edited by carch_23
  • Thank You 1