Tumidocarcinus Prep

Ptychodus04

9 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

And another progress pic. This thing is getting pretty leggy.

Looks like ole Crissy Claws.  Just one more thing that helps to take up more time.   But having that elongated concretion always means more leg.  A very good thing when it comes to fossil crabs.  Always a give and take when it comes to prepping many fossils.   Gunna be interesting to see how much of that face is preppable?  Best of luck man

RB

1 hour ago, RJB said:

Looks like ole Crissy Claws.  Just one more thing that helps to take up more time.   But having that elongated concretion always means more leg.  A very good thing when it comes to fossil crabs.  Always a give and take when it comes to prepping many fossils.   Gunna be interesting to see how much of that face is preppable?  Best of luck man

RB

Yep. The claws are going to be fun. :default_faint:I’m hoping for a GQ quality face on this guy. We shall see. I’m back to prepping for a client today, so Mr. Crabs goes back to the corner for a bit.

• I found this Informative 1

Slow going in this guy. Everything is super sticky and the sides of the carapace are covered in calcite! I’m having to Ly the scribe down and use the edge of the stylus to rub the matrix off in order to keep from damaging the shell.  I’ve found 3 of the legs on the left side. Still looking for #4.

5F736B29-3313-4CCC-ACBB-8D7A722D808D.thumb.jpeg.158e4eabd16486d04c42f8b6be8d9059.jpeg

• Enjoyed 4

That crabbie is looking mighty fine, even if it is a  sticky bugger.  Its so nice to see that it has most, if not all of its legs and some down to their tippie tips. If you have a Microjack that can make going into those tight places, especially around the claws a little easier.  I think you will have a fine looking crab after it is done and polished up.

22 hours ago, crabfossilsteve said:

That crabbie is looking mighty fine, even if it is a  sticky bugger.  Its so nice to see that it has most, if not all of its legs and some down to their tippie tips. If you have a Microjack that can make going into those tight places, especially around the claws a little easier.  I think you will have a fine looking crab after it is done and polished up.

I was pretty happy to find the tip on the leg for sure! I do have a Micro Jack and will definitely break it out on this guy.

4 hours ago, RJB said:

Good luck on #4.  Better to have a missing leg than a claw.  Could still be there though.  Best of luck

RB

Thanks. Yep, I'd happily have 7 legs and 2 claws over 8 legs and 1 claw!!!

• 1 month later...

I wrapped this beast up today. All in, it was just over 50 hours. There’s still a bit of sticky calcite on it but otherwise, I’m really happy with how it came out.

C89A95F6-AB32-4146-A976-613901C0A095.thumb.jpeg.2d107100741b51c2cc5b25a39e0ba05a.jpeg

C50BE13D-FD0B-463D-8B2D-75953965FB10.thumb.jpeg.c369d454baba94922bd5008dd5cf85eb.jpeg

• Enjoyed 7

2 hours ago, fossilhunter21 said:

Wow! Amazing job on that crab! 

Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

-@fossilhunter21

Thanks. I have a couple nice projects coming up that should be interesting.

• I found this Informative 1

Nice job Kris.  If you ever get one that is not sticky, you will be in heaven.  Did you 'tone' the rock with your air abrasive? 

RB

Well done, Sir!   :tiphat:

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

2 hours ago, RJB said:

Nice job Kris.  If you ever get one that is not sticky, you will be in heaven.  Did you 'tone' the rock with your air abrasive? 

RB

Thanks. I can only imagine what a non-sticky crab prep would be like! Yes, I abraded the matrix to remove some of the small scribe marks.

2 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Well done!!

Thank you sir.

2 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

Well done, Sir!   :tiphat:

Gracias. 

Yes, I would say that sticky bugger came out quite nice after all the prep time and spit and polish.  One to put on display for sure.  Nice job.

6 hours ago, crabfossilsteve said:

Yes, I would say that sticky bugger came out quite nice after all the prep time and spit and polish.  One to put on display for sure.  Nice job.

Thanks. I’m happy with it and it has a place of honor in the collection.

B1957AD2-86F9-4D93-A4D6-26F9840BCED6.thumb.jpeg.1d68131dd062cff5bc103ca4b0a97a39.jpeg

• Enjoyed 2