Need help with ID's tooth, vertebra, & unknown

Lone Hunter

A few things from Post Oak creek, Eagle Ford.  I don't have a shark tooth like this so easier to ask for ID on first one :) The tiny little vert I'm assuming is fish, not expecting more specific , this is the smallest one I've seen. Last item I have no idea, maybe fish related? 

IMG_20211205_203830681.jpg

IMG_20211205_203931012.jpg

IMG_20211205_204028825.jpg

IMG_20211205_203037750.jpg

IMG_20211205_203059271.jpg

IMG_20211205_203415209.jpg

IMG_20211205_204232879.jpg

IMG_20211205_204303840.jpg

IMG_20211205_205938150.jpg

Edited by Lone Hunter

I'm not even going to try on the shark tooth since I am not that good at ID'ing them, but the third one looks like a piece of a gastropod to me.  I think its the collumella and part of one whorl, but there are certainly other possibilities.

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

First one looks like Serratolamna but not sure it's found in sediments that old. Cretolamna is another possibility but am mostly throwing out guesses to advance this inquiry. Vert is fish. Last one is modern piece of gastropod shell maybe.

• I found this Informative 1

Appreciate your effort :)  It doesn't look like the Cretolamna I already have but doesn't rule it out.

6 hours ago, Lone Hunter said:

Appreciate your effort :)  It doesn't look like the Cretolamna I already have but doesn't rule it out.

Ah sweet I love Post Oak Creek! And I'm actually not horrible at identifying the stuff there!

First one's not Cretalamna since Cretalamna by definition doesn't have a nutrient groove. I believe it's a juvenile lateral Scapanorhynchus texanus (extinct goblin shark).

Second one is a weathered little shark vertebrae.

Third one is a piece of a snail.

Hope that helps!

• I found this Informative 1

6 hours ago, Lone Hunter said:

Here's a picture of some larger and more complete S texanus laterals I found on the net from fossils of New Jersey.

Yours appears to have some wear to the tip making it appear shorter than it would be if it was undamaged. Still a nice tooth though. Anytime you find a shark tooth at that site just guess S texanus and you'll be right 90% of time.

goblin_lateralsa_web.jpg

• Thank You 1

Tooth is posterior/lateral Scapanorhynchus sp. I agree the vert is a shark given those foramina on the lateral surface.

11 minutes ago, jikohr said:

I believe it's a juvenile lateral Scapanorhynchus texanus

Determining ontogenetic stage is very difficult with sharks, especially with a smaller species present in the fauna: S. raphiodon, so not sure you can say it's juvenile.

• Thank You 1

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Instagram: @thephysicist_tff

Very cool thanks y'all so much for the info, I'm surprised that is a shark vert can't imagine so small and how can you tell the difference between shark and fish?  Funny on the tooth ID sounds like another Texas rule. I'll have to post the other teeth I can't ID from there.