Stoping pyrite's disease

Alexander D.G

Ik know this isn't a fossil but i thought people probably have experience with pyrite here so i though i'd give it a shot.

I've had this piece for a year or so and as you can see it's corroding pretty bad on top, is there a way of stopping the corrosion once it has begun?

If not i'll try to cut off the bottom half so that that might survive.

IMG_1442.thumb.jpg.38a90075630385363fb61c15224e152c.jpg

My read on this subject is that you can try to do something about it, but it may be a temporary fix at best. The best way to slow down decay is to prevent oxygen and water from contacting your specimen, but it will not prevent decay from happening. The search that @Ludwigia suggests will yield what you can do. Pyrite has been studied from an environmental science standpoint regarding acidification from mine wastes and this website may explain why removing oxygen and water from the equation helps: https://ei.lehigh.edu/envirosci/enviroissue/amd/links/science2.html. I think the reactions also explain why it is not a permanent fix. Once the specimen has been exposed to oxygen, it starts a chain of reactions. Note that reactions 3 and 4 don't require oxygen. Even if you coat it and restrict the oxygen supply, acid (hydrogen ions) will be generated. I also note that the second reaction is the rate limiting step, but it proceeds more slowly under acidic conditions. Trying to neutralize it will only speed up the the rate limiting reaction. Trying to acidify it may temporarily slow it down, but you're also adding more hydrogen ions, which will drive the reaction faster. Seems like a lose-lose situation and why its impossible to stop pyrite disease. Note also that reactions 1, 3 and 4 require water. You can try to remove as much water as you can, but reaction 2 will keep generating water. 

• I found this Informative 4