Still More Dead Stuff

Fruitbat

Here are a few more of my specimens. Hope you enjoy the pictures!

gallery_330_103_91854.jpg

Mammuthus sp.cf. columbi - occlusal view of Mammoth molar from the Pleistocene Trinity River terraces, Dallas Co., TX

gallery_330_103_121366.jpg

Mammuthus sp.cf. columbi - lingual view of Mammoth molar from the Pleistocene Trinity River terraces, Dallas Co.,TX

Note: the above mammoth molar has no repairs or reconstruction.

Hyracodon%201.jpg

Hyracodon sp. - partial skull of a rhinoceros from the Oligocene of Nebraska

Hyracodon%202.jpg

Hyracodon sp. - upper dentition of a rhinoceros from the Oligocene of Nebraska

gallery_330_105_13599.jpg

Trigonias sp. - lower mandibles of a rhinoceros from the Oligocene of Wyoming

gallery_330_105_13871.jpg

Titanothere associated dentition - Chadron Formation (Oligocene) of Nebraska

gallery_330_105_40536.jpg

Protapirus sp. - associated dentition of an early tapir from the Oligocene of South Dakota

-Joe

• I found this Informative 1

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

Fantastic looking fossils. I plan on finding a mammoth tooth

one of these days. Hope it is intact like yours....

Welcome to the forum!

I'm very impressed... That is some seriously amazing stuff.... I think that mammoth tooth is what's been in Dan's dreams... :P

Indeed that is a dream of mine...but perhaps I have not yet paid my dues as a river rat. One of these days I need to quit around with all the bits and pieces and just find the whole mammoth. I could make it fit in my living room.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Joe

I sent you a PM.

Grüße,

Guest N.AL.hunter

Great stuff!! When I was out there searching I was looking for Titanothere stuff and found nada. Can't wait to see if you have anything more.

Joe

Did you say you hunted that Nebraska Oligocene stuff with Ken Smith? I know Bill Morgan collected there with him many years in a row. Bill lives a couple miles from me and I went to his house once and enjoyed seeing his collection. Lots of horse skulls, turtles, at least one nice side of a titantothere mandible, etc. Bill is a pretty good anatomist - he told me that an "unidentified humerus" in one of my reports was actually human!

Grüße,

Daniel....

Got the PM and will respond to it when I get home from work. I don't know Bill Morgan personally, though the name does sound familiar. Yes...I hunted the Nebraska/South Dakota/Wyoming sites with Ken Smith but it was back in the middle 1980s when a small group of us (Ken, Joe Kennedy, and myself) first started going up to those deposits. Fascinating that you found a human humerus in your wanderings. We did find a human skull cap in the banks of the North Sulfur River one time....a very curious one that had a number of the local paleontological/anthropological 'hotshots' in an uproar for a while. I don't know what ever happened to that skull piece (I was not the collector....and he has long since moved away).

N.AL.Hunter....

I don't have much in the way of titanothere material primarily because I was always more interested in the Brule Formation than the Chadron Formation and titanotheres are far less common in the Brule. I did assist in a couple of excavations of complete or nearly complete titanothere skulls (and that is a CHORE!!).

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

• 10 years later...