This was a gift from a client who knows I collect fossils. I’ve not seen something like this before.  

Thank you for any help. 

1B2B620F-6D5A-4510-9270-136DFB772C2C.jpeg

212D287A-6122-4C04-8382-3D21FF988964.jpeg

3DE32E93-0C82-441A-9FF2-3B724517768A.jpeg

B4E7C832-BAFF-4972-9906-45D9230ADF1C.jpeg

29930D7E-55D7-4068-999F-74CEF11A00F8.jpeg

7 hours ago, Guns said:

sand glue area between the tooth crown and the root section.

@FossilAddict59

The original poster writes "not seen something like this." Not sure of the reference, but on a basic level; it's a mosasaur tooth with root and replacement tooth, from Morocco.

Yes, but I believe I see an area of smooth natural transition (images 4 & 5). If that perception is accurate, then the presence of sand in other areas does not establish monkey business. I would suggest the poster evaluate the juncture of crown/root with a 10X loupe. A glued on crown is perhaps the most common "improvement" seen.  Are the parts naturally joined or has the crown been affixed? The object is to determine if the crown and root are naturally associated. Good luck, have fun.  

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

58 minutes ago, R0b said:

Am I wrong when I think the tooth still embedded is curving the other way than the emerged tooth?

Correct, my guess is that the composite functional tooth was placed incorrectly 

• I Agree 1

It also drew my distrust.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

4 hours ago, R0b said:

curving the other way

Is it curving or is an edge still obscured by matrix infill? Both images displaying the replacement seem to show a generally spear-shaped tooth. I interpret this as a tooth still partially obscured. I can't really claim to tell from the photos; but if it were mine, I would dig in that socket.

How do others view the crown/root juncture seen in images 4 & 5? I believe I am seeing a section of natural attachment.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

5 hours ago, snolly50 said:

How do others view the crown/root juncture seen in images 4 & 5? I believe I am seeing a section of natural attachment.

To me it seems repaired.

5 hours ago, R0b said:

To me it seems repaired.

Thanks, I appreciate the perspective. This issue arises again and again. So, I think it's useful to explore member's views/strategies on assessment. Circled in the image below is the section I view as natural. If one area of the crown/root juncture is indeed natural; then the piece cannot be tampered or spurious. That is, at least in terms of a reattached or mismatched crown/root. 

It would be beneficial if other members reveal their evaluative process on this issue. This question often arises and any techniques utilized in determining authenticity (from a photo) would certainly be generally helpful.

mosaglueline.jpg.1a2eaabacb2ab76a62150937d390201c.jpg

2 hours ago, snolly50 said:

Thanks, I appreciate the perspective. This issue arises again and again. So, I think it's useful to explore member's views/strategies on assessment. Circled in the image below is the section I view as natural. If one area of the crown/root juncture is indeed natural; then the piece cannot be tampered or spurious. That is, at least in terms of a reattached or mismatched crown/root. 

It would be beneficial if other members reveal their evaluative process on this issue. This question often arises and any techniques utilized in determining authenticity (from a photo) would certainly be generally helpful.

mosaglueline.jpg.1a2eaabacb2ab76a62150937d390201c.jpg

the part you circled is original root the repair is below. Below in red the filled in area / gap between jaw and added tooth.

4BAC792D-182E-4DB6-BF40-D65624845B24.jpeg

Edited by R0b
Image added
  • I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 2

11 hours ago, R0b said:

part you circled is original root the repair is below.

Thanks, that nicely clarifies the observation informing your opinion.

On 12/19/2021 at 8:18 AM, snolly50 said:

I see the tooth as a composite, with a crown with a partial crown/root junction being added to a root (note I'm not even 100% convinced the bottom of the composite is indeed a root with an emerging tooth).  In the old days when they used water-soluble glue in the fakes, what to the naked eye looked like a beautiful, perfect root would dissolve away in water.  I would look at the specimen under UV light. If you looked at Moroccan specimens under UV light, you probably wouldn't buy most of them.

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

6 hours ago, MarcoSr said:

see the tooth as a composite, with a crown with a partial crown/root junction being added to a root

Thanks, this is in harmony with @R0b's observation. My eye was drawn to the crown/root abutment, which I viewed as displaying a natural area. This observation prematurely ended my scrutiny and I failed to thoughtfully evaluate the "seam" below. Of course, if it were mine and in hand, a carbide needle would have already decided the nature of the narrow sandy area.

Dx via a photograph is a dicey business, yet it is one of the most valuable features of the Forum. I appreciate members taking the time to comment on these "is it real" inquiries.

• I found this Informative 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is a new ‘art piece’ I’ve been seeing pop up in many places. There seem to be a new type of fake that gets popular every several months. 
here’s another example I’ve seen in the last couple days. 
2DA080B6-5251-4E82-B09E-20F6198EAE91.thumb.jpeg.1098499f400c3b81d69c652aa1389e69.jpeg
Once again, the tooth placed below the other is pointing the wrong direction, and the jaw portion is made up of different pieces of bone. The lower piece that is circled is an entirely different coloration from the rest. It’s more convincing than the fakes I’ve seen of unassociated teeth being glued into matrix, but still very fake.