Hexagonaria quadrigemina?

andoran

I just posted on two other corals. I have several that I need help with identifying. Please forgive me for the spam. I thought it would be easier to post one or two rocks per topic rather than put them all together.

I purchased this one from online from a pawn shop in Florida. They claimed it was a Hexagonaria quadrigemina. Does anyone have any idea whether this is true?

IMG_3580.jpg

IMG_3633.jpg

IMG_3634.jpg

IMG_3635.jpg

IMG_3580 2.jpg

I think the ID you were given is incorrect.  Hexagonaria is a Devonian colonial rugosan coral, and your specimen is a scleractinian and much more recent.  The fourth photo suggests that the coral is encrusting something that was kept open, so possibly a hermit crab domicile such as a snail.  You might check out Septastrea marylandica as a possibility.  See this link for an example of a similar specimen (photo copied below).

Septasperea.jpg

Don

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 2

8 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

I think the ID you were given is incorrect.  Hexagonaria is a Devonian colonial rugosan coral, and your specimen is a scleractinian and much more recent.  The fourth photo suggests that the coral is encrusting something that was kept open, so possibly a hermit crab domicile such as a snail.  You might check out Septastrea marylandica as a possibility.  See this link for an example of a similar specimen (photo copied below).

Don

I agree.

• Thank You 1

Tarquin