Hexagonaria, Devonian, Alnif, Morocco

andoran

I purchased this from someone in the UK who said it was Hexagonaria from Alnif, Morocco. Does anyone have any idea if this is correct?

IMG_3590.jpg

IMG_3617.jpg

IMG_3618.jpg

IMG_3619.jpg

IMG_3620.jpg

IMG_3621.jpg

IMG_3622.jpg

IMG_3590 2.jpg

Amazingly, that could actually be a Hexagonaria, with the right sort of axial structure and carinae on the septa. If so, it would be the first Moroccan one I've seen. :)

1450758224_Screenshot2021-12-22at17_35_37.png.35baf251a98ea7c60f863eecd50b6d0d.png

• I found this Informative 1

Tarquin

Interesting. It does indeed look more like a Hexagonaria than any other Moroccan stone I have seen. I was really interested in getting your take on this one.

6 minutes ago, andoran said:

Interesting. It does indeed look more like a Hexagonaria than any other Moroccan stone I have seen. I was really interested in getting your take on this one.

I'm not quite sure - there is a hint of lens shaped columellae in some of the corallites, and it's possible that the "carinae" are in fact intersections of septa and dissepiments.

Could you perhaps take a photo of it wetted, or, better still, just submerged in a bowl of water. It should bring out the structure better.

Tarquin

@TqB This one is going to bug you, isn't it? The top is highly polished, so I don't know how much water will help, but here you go. I also zoomed way in on a couple and then played around in PhotoShop to see if I could make it stand out better.

IMG_3672.jpg

IMG_3673.jpg

IMG_3674.jpg

IMG_3675.jpg

IMG_3676.jpg

1234280953_IMG_36752.jpg

1430254760_IMG_36762.jpg

10 minutes ago, andoran said:

@TqB This one is going to bug you, isn't it? The top is highly polished, so I don't know how much water will help, but here you go. I also zoomed way in on a couple and then played around in PhotoShop to see if I could make it stand out better.

IMG_3672.jpg

This photo helps quite a lot! I think it's a UK Lithostrotion after all.

The carinae aren't there, and some of the corallites have the columella.

Rather like this one:

IMG_2616.thumb.jpg.28e39e7eaad4478dbe36e10c954cf757.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Tarquin

Weird that they sold it from the UK, but said it was from Morocco. I feel like Moroccan coral is more common than ones from the UK, but I don't live there currently, so I don't know.

Provenience info from commercial sellers always has to be treated with suspicion, if they are reselling and not the original collector.  It's easy to guess things are from Morocco because so much actually comes from there.  If you aren't familiar with the fauna it's always a good idea to ask the community what they think of the ID and locality, as you are doing.

Don

• I found this Informative 2