Joseph Kapler

Here are two teeth from the Hell Creek formation of Carter County, Montana.  Both that been Identified by others as belonging to Nanotyrannus. The first tooth is similar to the one I posted yesterday which comes from a different location.  The other is a front tooth.  I would appreciate any thought on taxonomy and jaw location, including yesterday's post.

NLb.jpg

NLb2.jpg

NLb3.jpg

NLb4.jpg

NLb5.jpg

NLb6.jpg

NLb7.jpg

NLb8.jpg

NLc1.jpg

NLc2.jpg

NLc3.jpg

NLc4.jpg

NLc5.jpg

NLc6.jpg

NLc7.jpg

NLc8.jpg

The top tooth is indeed that of a Nanotyrannus.   Unlike the variation in T-rex teeth to aid in jaw positioning, these are typically similar so its difficult to say much more at this time.  A study on dentions might change this. 

The other tooth is from a  Premaxillary position and its size suggests its a Tyrannosaurid.  Also, most likely a Nanotyrannus but there is no way to distinguish these teeth from a Juvenile T-Rex.   On the face of this tooth is there a third carina, looks serrated, is it?  Nice teeth.

• Thank You 1

Photo NLc9d (25x) NLc9d.thumb.jpg.a7de46691bc609caa104dbe7b895c81b.jpgNLc9d2.thumb.jpg.fafe93cf554c946c28edc3c71fd0db90.jpgshows a very subtle ridge that I can feel with my finger nail .  I appreciate your insightful comments.

• Thank You 1