Mini museum of prehistoric animals.

Bobby Rico

42 minutes ago, siteseer said:

It's a unique, thoughtful display, Bobby.  I've seen insect body fossils from the Hell Creek but I don't think I've seen a cocoon.  I'm wondering if that could be an egg case.

That’s interesting but  I didn’t add a size scale to it (18mm) sorry . I think it is to large, more like the pupate stage of a maggot but I don’t know. I think they commonly found around Dinosaur remains like the ribs . I never seen Insect from Hell Creek that’s interesting. Maybe @Troodon will have seen them before.

thanks for your kind words much appreciated. Next no my list is some mammal teeth or bird bone . I spotted some in the uk but they are very  expensive, maybe for my birthday 

stay safe Cheers Bobby 

Edited by Bobby Rico

Wow! I really like your metal dinosaur sculptures! But the fossils are way cooler.

Edited by Bringing Fossils to Life

2 hours ago, Bringing Fossils to Life said:

Wow! I really like your metal dinosaur sculptures! But the fossils are way cooler.

Thank you, the models are really just a bit of fun. The stegosaurus is a little out of place but what a creature.I do hope to get a triceratops model too,  I am pleased I got a very little bit Hell Creek stuff, as a kid I loved T.rex and Triceratops. 

cheers Bobby 

Edited by Bobby Rico

• 3 weeks later...

Just added a fun label to my mini museum and a bit more whimsy. 

844B7DEA-7614-4C44-930D-B035F046AEF9.jpeg

ECF1FEE9-C3B1-434A-9E79-B99F2B167995.jpeg

Edited by Bobby Rico
  • Enjoyed 5

Missed this before nice displays.

This is what the School of Mines Museum in Rapid City, SD displayed on your cocoon specimen.  Seed pods.IMG_2872.thumb.JPG.45cbe116339eb022bd134a1dfaefbb45.JPG

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1

43 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Missed this before nice displays.

This is what the School of Mines Museum in Rapid City, SD displayed on your cocoon specimen.  Seed pods.

Cheers Frank it definitely looks very similar.  I may have to change the label. I will contact the seller but they can be a little sensitive in these matters.

1 hour ago, Bobby Rico said:

Cheers Frank it definitely looks very similar.  I may have to change the label. I will contact the seller but they can be a little sensitive in these matters.

Well let them show you documentation to the contrary. 

• I found this Informative 1

58 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Well let them show you documentation to the contrary. 

I will indeed, my fault for not doing my homework but I am still happy having a seed pod. Will keep this thread updated .thanks again Frank.

This thread show I still really getting enjoyment from my grand Christmas auction win. Money well spent.

Edited by Bobby Rico

18 hours ago, Troodon said:

Well let them show you documentation to the contrary

This is his response “I don't think they are seed pods. These specimens were found inside the rib cage of a Triceratops suggesting they were laid on the carcass. Also, the distinct rings on the specimens are much more like a coccoon than a seed pod, which are usually smooth. It is an interesting suggestion though and I'll have to research it further”  
I will do some more pictures of my item . I don’t know myself I don’t think cocoons are laid but part of the pupa, that’s nitpicking.  Thanks again for your help. Bobby 

8 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

This is his response “I don't think they are seed pods. These specimens were found inside the rib cage of a Triceratops suggesting they were laid on the carcass. Also, the distinct rings on the specimens are much more like a coccoon than a seed pod, which are usually smooth. It is an interesting suggestion though and I'll have to research it further”  
I will do some more pictures of my item . I don’t know myself I don’t think cocoons are laid but part of the pupa, that’s nitpicking.  Thanks again for your help. Bobby 

Merv said that years ago...when selling them at Tucson

3 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Merv said that years ago...when selling them at Tucson

I have seen some more online saying very similar accounts .Is Merv a member TFF ? Cheers Bobby 

39 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

I have seen some more online saying very similar accounts .Is Merv a member TFF ? Cheers Bobby 

Dealer here in the states. I have no idea what it is just showed you what a museum said.   Cannot go by sellers need supporting published data and they all probably bought it from the same source.

12 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Dealer here in the states. I have no idea what it is just showed you what a museum said.   Cannot go by sellers need supporting published data and they all probably bought it from the same source.

Yes of course I may do an id post on the Forum. Somebody may have the info needed. Thanks again 

• 10 months later...

MrsR got me the triceratops model for Crimbo to swop out for the stegosaurus from my mini .Museum  She loves making them so she also built it to.  They are great looking  modals.

ED139B88-10CB-410A-A11B-D56B114F2C60.jpeg

5990346E-BF90-4D67-98DB-EA8D9522150A.jpeg

C121393A-FA6F-45AD-8C97-4EC554010D1D.jpeg

Edited by Bobby Rico
  • Enjoyed 6

7 hours ago, Troodon said:

bracket 14+ :D

That’s why MrsR made this model. I normally go for 6 to 9 age range in prehistoric modal. They are really nice sculptures. :dinothumb:

Edited by Bobby Rico
  • Enjoyed 1

I somehow missed this thread last year.

Glad that I've found it now. 

Charming, artistic, fun and great fossils, as always.

Love the new Trike.

1247932351_NewYear.gif.eb2ebd1be7aa4856cd95ef27ed340f22.gif

• Thank You 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

On 1/20/2023 at 8:44 AM, Tidgy's Dad said:

I somehow missed this thread last year.

Glad that I've found it now. 

Charming, artistic, fun and great fossils, as always.

Love the new Trike.

Thanks mate , I always wanted to work in a museum as that’s not happening. The bell jar is a little fun digression.

• Enjoyed 1

1 hour ago, Bobby Rico said:

Thanks mate , I always wanted to work in a museum as that’s not happening. The bell jar is a little fun digression.

I want to end up IN a museum. Older.gif.fa8461c9e2800d02ac6d06637039ed32.gif

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

1 minute ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

I want to end up IN a museum. Older.gif.fa8461c9e2800d02ac6d06637039ed32.gif

Haha you’re be an very informative exhibit  

• Enjoyed 1