Thoughts on the identity of this (Hell Creek formation, near Tyrannosaur excavation north of Fort Peck MT)

gneissdinosaur

Hi all, 

I have some ideas (apart from the usual non-diagnostic dismissal) already but I'm coming back to this after many years because I never could settle on a position. Hell Creek formation, obviously dinosaur, not too far from one Tyrannosaur site from a recent excavation. Might be in MOR collections, don't know, but it was marked for pickup (we were scouting on a day off from the main site). Eroding out of the same slope as an several Edmontosaurus elements I found including a 75% complete scapula from a rather large adult. Any thoughts? My hand (25 cm / 10" span outstretched, so you're looking at something about the size of a smallish melon) for scale as well as the pick. This was pre-smart phone so focus isn't what it could be now. Sadly the associated elements found together (background) did not turn out when I developed the film months later. Note the V-shaped process (broken). 
image.png.061479a97d19eae2acd7de087f95a560.png

I wouldn't be able to help you here anyway since I'm not at all familiar with these things, but I don't think that even the experts here could help you any further without better photos of this sample. It would probably only be guesswork with this one unsatisfactory photo, although I may be wrong here.

• I Agree 2

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/