Mammal bone in SE Texas

johnnyvaldez7.jv

I found this bone in Southeast Texas.  I don't know what it belongs to but it's pretty heavy and it definitely seems to be fossilized. I'm hoping someone can tell me what species it was a part of and how old it might be?

20210511_144942.jpg

20210511_145137.jpg

20210511_145105.jpg

20210511_145018.jpg

20210511_144903.jpg

This does appear to be from the proximal end of an ulna. The distinction between fossil and modern bone here in Texas is proving to be a challenge for me. This looks like a good candidate for a tap test though. Tap it lightly with something like a spoon or butter knife. If the tone it makes is high pitched it would indicate a fully mineralized bone. A lower pitch like wood being struck would indicate it's being modern. All fossils need not be fully mineralized however, and bones which are not considered true fossils can mineralize to some extent under certain conditions.

I think mammal fossils in most of the state would likely be Pleistocene in age.

• I Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm getting a high pitch sound when striking it. Based on its size what could it be from?

@johnnyvaldez7.jv You may want to try comparing it to a horse distal ulna.  I haven't found any personally before, but it could be a place to start in terms of general size and shape.  

That could still be consistent with Pleistocene deposits that I think would be likely in your area.

Since the angle of the anconaeus process, seen best in image 4, is a little obtuse for bos and maybe even equus maybe we should also consider cervus.

• I found this Informative 1