bthemoose

I recently acquired this nice little tooth from the Carlile Shale of north central Kansas, which I believe is Turonian in age. It looks like Cardabiodon ?venator to me, but I don't have much experience with the genus. What do others think? The tooth measures 27.17 mm along the slant and is 21.66 mm wide.

IMG_5843.thumb.jpeg.dfc061d4dd859cf2286cbaca5fc876ff.jpegIMG_5845.thumb.jpeg.f9c30a48e36c472d7f1a3082a172b34b.jpegIMG_5846.thumb.jpeg.5d84bbe44871e3d0429db2f135415820.jpegIMG_5847.thumb.jpeg.fdd1b053c4aa7ee5f85c1de88eedce2f.jpegIMG_5848.thumb.jpeg.9b0a54d50d8c2f65d9914fcfec0bcf8f.jpeg

I tried to look up a few things for you, and I don’t know if it helps but I grabbed a few screenshots from online. Maybe it’ll set you on a path that actually does help. This one is a photo of the genus in question. I will note that your specimen appears to have double cusps.

91E52E67-D234-40F8-9FEB-C29666D77C23.thumb.jpeg.b6b4e2972c32fac7915ac452beaa9fec.jpeg

This photo shows a likeness to your specimen, with the double cusps and same shape, though a different genus. 

F39646FA-655D-4A54-903F-BFC090235D89.thumb.jpeg.d430ba0b372efefb8dec64d3eb4e01ce.jpeg

I hope it helps in some way. :fingerscrossed:

Thanks @thelivingdead531! My tooth does have double cusplets. The second picture is, in fact, the tooth I purchased. :BigSmile: I'm pretty sure it's not Cretodus, though, as it lacks the characteristic folds on the enamel. I bought the tooth specifically because I thought it might be something even more interesting (to me) like Cardabiodon.

I agree that it does look Cardabiodontid. Definitely not Cretodus.

Cardabiodon sp.:

vp-17141.thumb.jpeg.acade4a3ccd18ccbe8c897d1df27b013.jpeg

^http://oceansofkansas.com/ks-sharks.html

2 minutes ago, bthemoose said:

I bought the tooth specifically because I thought it might be something even more interesting (to me) like Cardabiodon.

Ya, gotta disagree...

• I found this Informative 1

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Instagram: @thephysicist_tff

Thanks @ThePhysicist! Not sure if you were disagreeing with Cardabiodon being more interesting or with the site that identified it as Cretodus, but to clarify, Cardabiodon would be more interesting to me as I don't have any others in my collection, whereas I do have some Cretodus. I find them both quite interesting.

1 hour ago, bthemoose said:

Thanks @thelivingdead531! My tooth does have double cusplets. The second picture is, in fact, the tooth I purchased. :BigSmile: I'm pretty sure it's not Cretodus, though, as it lacks the characteristic folds on the enamel. I bought the tooth specifically because I thought it might be something even more interesting (to me) like Cardabiodon.

Well, this is embarrassing for me. :blush: Ha! I’m so sorry, I thought I was onto something. They looked so similar, I should have known. :heartylaugh: I can’t help any further then, my apologies. 

That's a great pick-up, B.  Yeah, Cretodus has those vertical folds on both sides.  The large bourlette is an indicator of Cardabiodon.

In the old days a tooth like this was considered a weird Cretolamna or Pseudoisurus, a genus still debated, I think.

I always tell people to pick up the weird-looking teeth even if they're a little beat-up.  Too many collectors chase after just "perfect" teeth (and other stuff) so they overlook all kinds of cool specimens/items.

Jess

• I found this Informative 1

• 2 months later...