A ton of fossils I need help identifying...

Rocky998

11 minutes ago, Rocky998 said:

I thank you for that and I agree, from the top of it, it looks a lot like a humerus, but from the side like in the picture at the bottom of the two, it is more curved

Now I see what you mean.

edit- no I don’t, you just added Jacks picture. Very confusing.

Edited by Al Dente

On 1/16/2022 at 12:07 PM, Rocky998 said:

Here is a pic of the possible humerus. The picture shows the curve on it, hopefully this helps

0116221158.jpg

I'm not seeing that the item pictured above is the same as the one highlighted below.

0114221617.jpg

The item highlighted in red definitely looks similar to the cetacean humerus images provided by @Al Dente. I'm not sure where the other object came from as I don't see it in the initial layout of finds.

Cheers.

-Ken

3 minutes ago, digit said:

I'm not seeing that the item pictured above is the same as the one highlighted below.

0114221617.jpg

The item highlighted in red definitely looks similar to the cetacean humerus images provided by @Al Dente. I'm not sure where the other object came from as I don't see it in the initial layout of finds.

Cheers.

-Ken

Those 2 objects are the exact same, just a different perspective of it. From the top, it gives the illusion in the picture that it is straight, but in reality it is curved.

6 minutes ago, Al Dente said:

Now I see what you mean.

edit- no I don’t, you just added Jacks picture. Very confusing.

Not jacks, the one below jacks picture. That one is mine. Jack mustve put both my pic and his together into one picture, I tried to only get mine in there

We need to see all sides of the bone - top, bottom, left, right, front, back.

Camera should be directly above the item, not at an oblique angle.

Photodirections_003.thumb.jpg

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

21 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

We need to see all sides of the bone - top, bottom, left, right, front, back.

Camera should be directly above the item, not at an oblique angle.

Photodirections_003.thumb.jpg

but how do I know what the "top" of the fossil is?

17 minutes ago, digit said:

Choose a side and rotate for 4 views with 90 degree rotation. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

Ok! Will do! Thanks man

OK, I didn’t read this discussion closely enough. After rereading I see that these are two different views of the same fossil. If that is the case, then I agree that it can’t be a humerus. 

C16BA4C7-2E3C-4D34-8D86-C5E5A2844319.jpeg

4E13A8D4-7000-481A-8F0D-380D289B176A.jpeg

• Thank You 1

59 minutes ago, Al Dente said:

OK, I didn’t read this discussion closely enough. After rereading I see that these are two different views of the same fossil. If that is the case, then I agree that it can’t be a humerus.

Thank you for re-reading that. Yes, it is one of my more interesting shaped bones I have in my collection. Sorry for not getting the new pictures. Its kinda just been a chaotic week... I'm cycling an aquarium rn and its been a mess. So fossils have been on the back burner lately. Although last night my ADHD made me stay up and organize all my rocks and fossils from 8pm all the way to 12:30AM LOL. So as you can see my brain loves to randomly do things when I'm bored so when I say that my week is or has been "busy", I basically mean that my brain decided to forget about taking pictures and ping ponged me around :heartylaugh:

59 minutes ago, Al Dente said:

Thanks for the additional pictures. I’m thinking this is a piece from a process coming off of a whale vertebra, something similar to what is attached to this whale centrum from this website-https://ask2.extension.org/kb/faq.php?id=494048

1850A0E7-0840-42DE-90DB-8D5A65AF6031.jpeg

those pieces on the sides? That looks like my piece if you took that apart!. Thank you for the help on this