Legality of White Sea Fossils

GarethGP

I just had the opportunity to purchase a kimberella fossil for a good price but backed out at the last second because the seller was based in Russia and I wasn't sure about the legality surrounding White Sea specimens being imported to Canada where I live. I'm always wary of fossils being sold out of China and Russia. Has anyone purchased White Sea specimens directly from Russia? And what is the legality of them? It's hard to find a direct answer online. 

14 minutes ago, GarethGP said:

I just had the opportunity to purchase a kimberella fossil for a good price but backed out at the last second because the seller was based in Russia and I wasn't sure about the legality surrounding White Sea specimens being imported to Canada where I live. I'm always wary of fossils being sold out of China and Russia. Has anyone purchased White Sea specimens directly from Russia? And what is the legality of them? It's hard to find a direct answer online. 

Why would purchasing a fossil from Russia present any legal issues?

People from around the world purchase thousands of the very famous St. Petersburg trilobites every year with zero issues. Russia has many other fossils of interest for collectors too, including the ones you are interested in and I have not heard of any legal problems surrounding their purchase or export. I have had friends from Russia send me fossils of Ordovician trilos, echinoderms and Permian brachiopods and plants with no problems as well. Recently also purchased some placoderm material and although it has not arrived yet, I do not expect there will be any issues there either.

China is a bit different in that I believe the export of vertebrate fossils from there is now illegal, although if you buy ones exported to other countries from before the ban it will be fine.

31 minutes ago, Misha said:

Why would purchasing a fossil from Russia present any legal issues?

From the abstract of Fedonkin et al. (2009):

"The collection of fossils has been illegal since February 2000 by the authority

of the Administration of the Arkhangelsk Region and the Northern Committee of

Natural Resources of the Russian Ministry of Natural Resources. Presently, the

Ministry of Internal Affairs and Federal Security Service are prepared to protect

the Vendian localities by arresting  pirates. Recommendations to control

paleo-piracy in the White Sea region include finalizing the establishment of

World Heritage Site status, educating the local people in the values of the

fossils and the need for their protection, establishment of a procedure for

licensing for the collection of some fossils, and the notification to sellers of

Vendian material by Russian authorities that the fossils were obtained illegally

and hence are the property of Russia."

Publications cited:

Fedonkin, M.A., 2009. Paleo-piracy endangers Vendian (Ediacaran) fossils in

the White Sea-Arkhangelsk region of Russia:[Les prélèvements sauvages,

une menace pour les fossiles vendiens (édiacariens) de la région de la Mer

Blanche-Arkhangelsk en Russie]. In PaleoParks: the protection and

conservation of fossil sites worldwide (pp. 103-111). Université de Bretagne

occidentale Département des sciences de la terre.

PDF file of above paper.

PDF file of above paper on Academic.edu

I do not know what has transpired in the time since 2009.

A related paper:

Grazhdankin, D.V., 2003. Structure and depositional environment of

the Vendian Complex in the southeastern White Sea area. 

Stratigraphy and Geological Correlation, 11(4), pp.313-331.

Yorus,

Paul H.

• I found this Informative 3

1 minute ago, Oxytropidoceras said:

"The collection of fossils has been illegal since February 2000 by the authority

Huh, well I guess that location is under different regulation than the others I know of. 

Thank you for the info

• I found this Informative 1

Thank you for the info, I really appreciate it! I guess I'll just have to appreciate dicksonia and kimberella in a museum setting :)

• 4 weeks later...

Oh wow, I am a new collector of fossils and I didn't know there could be such issues from pieces bought online. Thanks for the information on this thread. 

Perhaps we can agree with the author that there are generally recognized paleontological monuments (in particular, monuments of Ediacaran biota in the north of Russia), the protection of which should be ensured.

Although it is unlikely to implement such protection in practice...

• I Agree 1