Real or Not Keichousaurus?

DardS8Br

Real, and basically very nice specimen.

But very harshly prepped (butchered) with rotary tools, its essentially destroyed :Cry:.

There is possibly also some painting involved, but this doesn´t matter, because - specimen is already destroyed.

Franz Bernhard

28 minutes ago, FranzBernhard said:

Real, and basically very nice specimen.

But very harshly prepped (butchered) with rotary tools, its essentially destroyed :Cry:.

There is possibly also some painting involved, but this doesn´t matter, because - specimen is already destroyed.

Franz Bernhard

Dang. Why do they use rotary tools?

9 minutes ago, DardS8Br said:

Why do they use rotary tools?

I have no personal experience with these, but:

- These fossils are very abundant.

- Rotary tools are cheap and handy. Think about a drilling machine with a wire brush (no, no don´t think about it...).

- Time is everything. Good prep takes its time. Wonders can to done to Keichs with proper tools and even hand tools, but it takes time. They can be nearly brought back to life with proper prep.

- They are sold anyways (That´s it in the end - maximization of monetary output).

Many knowledgeable members here, some of my thoughts could be falsified.

Franz Bernhard

Edited by FranzBernhard
  • I found this Informative 1

1 minute ago, FranzBernhard said:

I have no personal experience with these, but:

- These fossils are very abundant.

- Rotary tools are cheap and handy. Think about a drilling machine with a wire brush (no, no don´t think about it...).

- Time is everything. Good prep takes its time. Wonders can to done to Keichs with proper tools and even hand tools, but it takes time. They can be nearly brought back to life with proper prep.

- They are sold anyways (That´s it in the end - maximization of monetary output).

Many knowledgeable members here, some of my thoughts could be falsified.

Franz Bernhard

Ah, thanks for your help!

• Thank You 1

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Real or Not Keichousaurus?

Many Keichousaurus are prepped with the use of acid and rotary tools because some slabs are of very hard matrix (the locals call them "steel" plates) that it is impossible to manually prepped.  Of course, there are specimens that no prepping is needed, the locals call them "natural form".

K2.png

K1.jpg

• I found this Informative 3
  • Enjoyed 1
  • Thank You 1