jikohr

Hi everyone!

I'm helping a buddy go through and identify a ton of Moroccan stuff he acquired several years ago. There were two large ribs, the first is 10 inches (straight line) an the main part is .75 inches wide. the second is 5.5 inches (straight line) and 1.25 inches wide. I'm fairly certain these are Dinosaur or crocodile, leaning toward dinosaur but I'm not certain which type. Any feedback is greatly appreciated as always!

2 ribs 1.JPG

2 ribs 2.JPG

1120243082_2ribs3.JPG

2 ribs 4.JPG

2 ribs 5.JPG

2 ribs 6.JPG

2 ribs 7.JPG

2 ribs 8.JPG

2 ribs 9.JPG

2 ribs 10.JPG

2 ribs 12.JPG

2 ribs 13.JPG

Edited by jikohr
bad picture

I'll tell you right now you will have a hard time to get these positively identified.  Ribs have similar characteristics across species and these are incomplete and poorly preserved.   Most of the dino bones I see are from Spinosaurids so good chance its one.   Unfortunately, we have hardly any comparative material to look at and I can show you one of the few  images of ribs we have on Spino's.   So ribs are 15, 14 and 13 and your longer one may be one,

Sorry I cannot say more

Frank

Spinosaurus_holotype.thumb.jpg.18c13824d84cc05a3848161c7b1be30f.jpg

Nice ribs. But like Frank said, ribs are very hard to identify and there is little reference material.

I'd say these need to be cleaned first before trying to further ID them. Without all the matrix on there it might be slightly more doable to get some sort of ID.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

4 hours ago, Troodon said:

I'll tell you right now you will have a hard time to get these positively identified.  Ribs have similar characteristics across species and these are incomplete and poorly preserved.   Most of the dino bones I see are from Spinosaurids so good chance its one.   Unfortunately, we have hardly any comparative material to look at and I can show you one of the few  images of ribs we have on Spino's.   So ribs are 15, 14 and 13 and your longer one may be one,

Sorry I cannot say more

Frank

Spinosaurus_holotype.thumb.jpg.18c13824d84cc05a3848161c7b1be30f.jpg

3 hours ago, LordTrilobite said:

Nice ribs. But like Frank said, ribs are very hard to identify and there is little reference material.

I'd say these need to be cleaned first before trying to further ID them. Without all the matrix on there it might be slightly more doable to get some sort of ID.

Thanks guys!