Tooth ID Help

hokietech96

Hope everyone is doing well.  I miss being in a creek or on the beach, but all in due time.  Every night I have been relaxing going through different types of matrix.  Last week I started seperating ray teeth from Bakersfield matrix that I went through last week.  I believe the these are three shark teeth that are not ray teeth.  All measurements are in MM.  Any feedback (as always) is much appreciated!!

1.  This tooth has a little white nub sticking out.  I was thinking something pathological like a smoothhound?

2117198710_TueJan2516-28-50.jpg.6b292a86f8d04fbeeb1920aaa580d51b.jpg1471336228_TueJan2516-28-06.jpg.63bcd36877b7bca2378f8aa1e8c4407b.jpg 

2. I am pretty confident this is a smoothound, mustelus lateral tooth.  If it is, pretty excited because it will be a first of this type for me.  Also it fell off my tweezers when I was putting it back in the gem jar.  I am absolutely shocked that I found the little 1mm piece of.... happiness!

2.1754497810_TueJan2516-25-55.jpg.1951be72ca2a36dc90bb0a78dcfd2530.jpg

1414202646_TueJan2516-26-32.jpg.5b7998dbd837689bf571a11866630168.jpg

3.  For the last tooth I am stumped.  It has a crazy perfect circle on top of the tooth.  I was thinking something like a basking or whale shark.  But what I have learned over the past year and half on the forum is, when in doubt... it pathological something something.  Any feedback on this would be great.  

49140574_TueJan2516-24-00.jpg.c5e4940190357f993e6bc0c30c992a8e.jpg

403248719_TueJan2516-25-18.jpg.7cb299c8ae17ebeb744be38b08b16ffc.jpg

I hope this post helps future people looking at similar teeth!  Everyone on this forum is amazing!

• Enjoyed 1

3 minutes ago, hokietech96 said:

2. I am pretty confident this is a smoothound, mustelus lateral tooth.  If it is, pretty excited because it will be a first of this type for me.  Also it fell off my tweezers when I was putting it back in the gem jar.  I am absolutely shocked that I found the little 1mm piece of.... happiness!

Could very well be a Mustelus sp. tooth (though I don't know about tooth positions as they have crushing teeth where all of the positions look much the same). They have a uvula where the enamel "drips" down which is similar to wedgefish teeth (which this might also be). Wedgefish (Rhynchobatus sp.) do tend to have the pointy root tips and distinct uvula as seems to be present on your specimen--don't think I can commit from these images. The smoothhound shark teeth that I'm familiar with tend to have wrinkles around the base of the enamel.

Looking on Elasmo.com I can see that the Sharktooth Hill faunal list shows Mustelus and "Rhinobatos" (guitarfish) which seemed tentative and may in fact be Rhynchobatus.

@ynot has picked a lot of micros from STH and @Al Dente is the person who taught me to recognize Mustelus so they may have more to say on your specimen. Here are images of both genera from the Montbrook locality here in Florida.

Cheers.

-Ken

UF515780.jpg

UF515779.jpg

Rhynchobatid1.jpg

Rhynchobatid2a.jpg

Rhynchobatid2b.jpg

19 minutes ago, hokietech96 said:

3.  For the last tooth I am stumped.  It has a crazy perfect circle on top of the tooth.  I was thinking something like a basking or whale shark.  But what I have learned over the past year and half on the forum is, when in doubt... it pathological something something.  Any feedback on this would be great.  

Oh, and I think this may not be a tooth as much as it might be a shark (or ray) dermal denticle from which all (tetropod) teeth are derived.

Cheers.

-Ken

6 minutes ago, digit said:

Oh, and I think this may not be a tooth as much as it might be a shark (or ray) dermal denticle from which all (tetropod) teeth are derived.

Cheers.

-Ken

That is very interesting because the reason I was going through the ray teeth was to seperate all the dermal denticles that I threw in the pile not knowing what they were at the time.  Thanks to everyone on the forum, I know now and I can add this one to the pile.  Thanks!

Edited by hokietech96

Basing my identification on the wide base and fluted enameled surface found on shark dermal denticles like this:

UF515795.jpg

The overall shape of your specimen much more resembles one found by @old bones while working on Montbrook matrix:

MB denticle 4.jpg

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1

11 hours ago, hokietech96 said:

1.  This tooth has a little white nub sticking out.  I was thinking something pathological like a smoothhound?

I think this is Heterodontus.

• I Agree 1

2 hours ago, Al Dente said:

I had that thought as well. Are there intermediate teeth between the anterior cusped grasping teeth and the lateral/posterior crushing teeth?

Cheers.

-Ken

Agree, Heterodontus anterior

Screenshot_20220126-054735_Drive.thumb.jpg.af9ae75e24a19eda9c87ca8ecc008d00.jpg

Neogene ‘Horn Sharks’ Heterodontus (Chondrichthyes: Elasmobranchii) from
the Southeastern Pacific and Their Paleoenvironmental Significance

Jaime A. Villafaña et al 2018

• I found this Informative 2
  • Thank You 1

Very nice! I'm familiar with the posterior/lateral forms and the cusped anterior forms but have not yet encountered these transitional forms that bridge the two forms that the genus is named for (Heterodontus). I do enjoy mornings when I can add to my fossil knowledge just a bit. :)

Cheers.

-Ken

7 hours ago, Al Dente said:

Thanks for the feedback.  Is that white nub normal on this tooth?

5 hours ago, old bones said:

This is a better match for the dermal denticle.

That is almost an identical match!  Thanks!