Flying with fossils

Joe_17

I'll be visiting my home state of Illinois tomorrow and will be flying to get there.  I'm also bringing some fossils with me for proper identification , as I was invited for a tour with one of the curators at the museum I used to volunteer at . My question is , has anyone had any issues when getting through security with their fossils?? Namely fossils that were just purchased ???

I frequently fly with fossils as carry-on's. More time is needed to pass security check but I have had no issues.  Rocks cause a red flag and your baggage will be searched. Then expect additional time explaining what is present, in that every TSA Agent has had much interest in fossils when they see them. good luck!

Mike

• Enjoyed 1

When I backpack, I always pick up a rock or 2 and label it when I get home for memory sake. The last trip I was on, I had a couple rocks in my carry on and TSA said that I could not bring them on the plane because they could be used as a weapon, so I left them. Now to be fair with TSA, after backpacking 56 miles and without shaving, I probably looked like some type of thug, also heading home to Chi-Town.

Edited by Nimravis
  • I found this Informative 1

Hmmmm so it seems I may or may not have them taken away ?? Surely an explanation why I'm bringing them would be sufficient right ?

I've had the same experience as Mike when travelling with large whale vertebra and large bulk samples. You will get stopped and have your carryon searched unless you take them out of your carry-on bag and have them in a clear plastic bag or loose so that they can be seen as part of the initial security screening.

I hear your concern about confiscation. They will not be confiscated. There is no basis for confiscation as long as you are travelling domestically. 

The charter for the airport security staff is to ensure safety of passengers. Fossils represent no threat.

I ended up getting through security and I was searched . I will try and put them in my backpack next time and hopefully all goes well when I go back .

My biggest issue when bringing a box full through security was they were wrapped in foil. That took extra time as a bunch had to be unwrapped to confirm what they were. Then we talked about them for a minute and they let me continue on my flight.

I was turned away at the Cincinnati airport once. Had to purchase a box and send them thru as checked luggage.  If you have the time using checked luggage will help.  I think carry on will be a snarge shoot.

• I Agree 1

I’ve flown with some small ones. No problems. I had them in my carry on wrapped in bubble wrap. Did not have to take them out or anything. But like the above posts I would no suggest wrapping in foil or anything that would make the security unsure as to what was present. 

I would avoid carrying anything big enough to be used as a weapon in your carry-on luggage.   You could wrap it carefully and put it in your checked luggage, but bear in mind that if it looks unusual in an X-ray to the TSA folks they may unpack it to check, and they will probably not repack it properly.  Another alternative would be to mail it ahead to yourself at your destination.  Small items in your carry-on will probably be OK although I have had the experience of having to unwrap and explain everything, which almost made me miss a flight.  Also in the process I lost a small piece from the tip of a nice large cone snail, which was very annoying.

Don

I have flown many times with fossils in my carry on.  I only lost one to TSA... a fairly large, yes, weapons grade chunk of Devonian rock with some small teeth in it was confiscated at the Cleveland airport.  Otherwise, I have also flown out of Frankfurt and Toulouse post 9-11 with lots of small carry on fossils.  Take them out and be ready to explain.  Be early in case it takes a while.  Of course it could also depends on the mood to the security officer you get. 

Always always always put your rock hammer in the checked bag.  They are all weapons grade.   This includes when taking the train through the Chunnel.  We did get in trouble doing that with 25 rock hammers but talked our way through.   

Edited by jpc

Never had an issue flying with fossils.  I package them so that they are easy to inspect which happens often.  I usually ask that be in a private location so I can be sure they are handled properly.    

I’ve flown out of the US with fossils in my carry on, granted they were only shark teeth, but didn’t have any problems. I’ve also flown within the UK with a large equine metacarpal and fish fossil in my carry on, and again no problems. Obviously everyone has different experiences though. 

The only time I had a problem was when I was flying from London to Edinburgh and TSA pulled me aside because the scanner showed I had a liquid in my purse. I had removed all liquids and told the agent so, so the agent had to search my bag. He removed a mineral specimen that I forgot I had in my purse from a previous trip. Apparently it showed up as a liquid in the scanner. We both had a good laugh at that, and thankfully the agent was lighthearted about the whole thing. 

• Enjoyed 1

9 hours ago, thelivingdead531 said:

I’ve flown out of the US with fossils in my carry on, granted they were only shark teeth, but didn’t have any problems. I’ve also flown within the UK with a large equine metacarpal and fish fossil in my carry on, and again no problems. Obviously everyone has different experiences though. 

The only time I had a problem was when I was flying from London to Edinburgh and TSA pulled me aside because the scanner showed I had a liquid in my purse. I had removed all liquids and told the agent so, so the agent had to search my bag. He removed a mineral specimen that I forgot I had in my purse from a previous trip. Apparently it showed up as a liquid in the scanner. We both had a good laugh at that, and thankfully the agent was lighthearted about the whole thing. 

I got through security back home and they didn't even pull me aside for anything , I was a bit surprised.

I’ve flown many times with fossils/minerals and I’ve yet to encounter an issue with it.