Squaliform tooth ID

Kolya

Hello!

Help please to identify tooth. 

Height  2,5 mm.

Age: Most probably Middle Miocene or from redeposits from Eocene.
I found before only Squalus, but this tooth is slightly differ from others.

Western Ukraine.

Thanks in advance!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Really interesting tooth. There a few Squaliformes known from the Eocene of the Ukraine. Off the top of my head Isistius, Centrophorus, Deania and Etmopterus. I can’t get much further on a specific ID at this time but I’ll do a little research. 

• I found this Informative 1

9 minutes ago, fossilsonwheels said:

Really interesting tooth. There a few Squaliformes known from the Eocene of the Ukraine. Off the top of my head Isistius, Centrophorus, Deania and Etmopterus. I can’t get much further on a specific ID at this time but I’ll do a little research. 

Thanks a lot, Kurt!

Hi Kolya,

It looks like a Squalus with a strangely extended root.  The uvula is strangely extended and curved which tells me this may be a pathologic tooth.  I couldn't find another squaliform that looked like that.  Assuming it's Miocene (or even Eocene), I would expect it to be at least an early representative of a modern genus so it would be something familiar.

Jess

• I found this Informative 1

On 2/4/2022 at 7:06 AM, siteseer said:

Hi Kolya,

It looks like a Squalus with a strangely extended root.  The uvula is strangely extended and curved which tells me this may be a pathologic tooth.  I couldn't find another squaliform that looked like that.  Assuming it's Miocene (or even Eocene), I would expect it to be at least an early representative of a modern genus so it would be something familiar.

Jess

Thanks a lot, Jess!!